Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue, V6, every year I have the code

Hello, I have a 2003...
Hello, I have a 2003 Saturn Vue, V6, every year I have the code P0128 and have to install a new thermostat, what causes them to fail in such a short time?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I will list the possible causes.

• Faulty/low-quality part
  • Air in the cooling system/coolant leak
  • Faulty engine coolant temp sensor
Thank you, I've installed AC delco, Motorad, all fail after a year and a half, installed new aftermarket temp sensor no fix, no coolant leaks 50/50 Dexcool mix.

You are welcome.

The last possible cause would be the computer.

I would get the computer flashed/updated before replacing it.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great night!!

what is the cause of the thermostat failures?

If everything checks out good I mentioned above, the thermostat is not failing. The PCM is the root cause.. and thats why it flags this code.

It has a new PCM that I already install a year ago for an other issue, an they took my vin#, would I have to have it flashed, and who would I take it to?

I am sorry, I dont understand your question.

Maybe we should speak on the phone..

Who would you take it to for what?

phone me i'll be waiting

Ok, please request a phone call on your end and I will call right away.

how would I do that
you have my permission

There should be a pop up on your end to request a phone call. Just agree to the charges as it is an extra cost and I will call you right now.

don't find anything
what would I click?

I have no idea. Your page looks different than mine.

what are you talking
is it the 7 day trial?
Hello

I think so

ok I paid the additional $26 for the 7 day trial, now what?

You should be able to request a phone call on your end. I have no idea where it is.

Maybe we can wait until tomorrow and you can call them for technical assistance.

I just paid $47 for you to help me answer my question

Try using a different browser or a different computer.

what are you talking about, I need help with what to do?
I don't understand to use a different browser or different computer?
what's happening now?
hello
Waiting for an answer to navigate for phone call
what should I do now?
what's happening?
Dan, Technician

It looks like Amedee is not online at the moment, I'm willing to help. How many thermostats have you actually replaced? Did any last longer then the other? From my experience AC Delco is pretty much the only brand that fixes this issue.

I have replace 4 thermostats in 6 years and they have been the delco Motorad.

How many times did you replace with AC Delco?

4 motorad t-stats times each time they fix it but after a year or so the code p0128 comes back

When you buy them are they sold as Motorad or AC Delco

The package says AC delco but the part says motorad, should I buy one from the dealer, I buy from rockauto?

Is thermostat housing coming with replacement thermostat?

every time.

Have you gotten a coolant flush recently? If coolant is old it may cause thermostat to corrode and stick open.

the first time I did it I notice the one of the ears was broke off the when I removed the original, not sure if the ear got loged in some passage way?
I installed new dexcool 50/50 mix and a AC Delco cap.

Give me a few minutes to look into this, thanks.

no problem

Any idea what the part number you have been installing is?

Well I'm not sure.
It's the rockauto AC Delco 198 degree

I'll take a look, during replacement how does seal look?

it looks good now I don't use the suction tool to fill the system.

That shouldn't matter.

no leaks ever though

If you look up part based on vehicle on Rockauto it gives you part number 19137260. GM recommends using part number 55353492. I'm not sure what the difference is but I'd imagine there is some type of difference otherwise what would be the point of different part numbers. And since GM specifically recommends using 55353492 that is what I'd do. I see Rockauto also sells 55353492 if you search by part number. Nothing should be causing these to stick open too soon. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Ok I'll try that part#

Sounds good, let me know if there is anything else I can do. Also torque down thermostat to 15 ft lbs just so everything is 100% by the book. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

I'll try one from the dealer this time. Thank you!

No problem, have a good evening.

Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician