Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

IF THE INJECTORS IS THE PROBLEM, WOULD IT SHOW UP ON ONE OR…

Customer Question
IF THE INJECTORS IS...

IF THE INJECTORS IS THE PROBLEM, WOULD IT SHOW UP ON ONE OR MORE SPARK PLUGS?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?

115000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

2003 L200 2.2 LITER ENGINE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your L200 yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I HAVE REPLACED A NUMBER OF SENSORS

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Saturn
9/19/2017
Saturn Mechanic: david craig, Saturn Mechanic replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, Saturn Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. are you getting fault codes?

po172
the spark plugs were changed recently
replaced both upstream and downstream O2 and crankshaft sensor

ok, please standby

do you have a scan tool that reads live data?

I have a scan but no live data

I need to know what the fuel trim are doing and how the new oxygen sensors are performing.

simple scan tool. no way to monitor

here are somethings you can check per this TSB

have a shop comply with TSB 03-06-04-030F

Condition

Some owners may comment on driveability symptoms of long or hard starts, chuggle, rough idle and light or intermittent misfire. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may also illuminate.

Cause
Due to various factors, the fuel injectors may become restricted. Extensive testing has demonstrated that fuel related issues are the cause of clogged injectors. At this point, no specific fuel, fuel constituent, or engine condition has been identified as causing the restriction. The restriction causes the engine to operate at a lean air fuel ratio. This may either trigger the MIL to illuminate or the engine to develop various driveability symptoms.
Correction
Fuel injector restrictions, deposits, can be cleaned on the vehicle using the following procedure. Under NO circumstances should this procedure be modified, changed or shortened.
Notice
The recommended mixture amount of GM Top-Engine Cleaner has been increased from 5% used in prior procedures to 10%. This increase was implemented to improve the effectiveness of the injector cleaning procedure. Follow the cleaning procedure carefully to minimize the risk of fuel system damage. Testing has demonstrated that exceeding the 10% cleaning solution concentration does not improve the effectiveness of this procedure. GM Top-Engine Cleaner is the only injector cleaning agent approved for use with General Motors fuel system components. Other injector cleaners, while effective, may cause damage to plastics, plated metals or bearings. General Motors has completed extensive laboratory testing of GM Top-Engine Cleaner, and can assure its compatibility with General Motors fuel system components, as long as the cleaning procedure is followed correctly.
Important
This bulletin recommends the use of pre-measured containers of GM Top-Engine Cleaner, P/N 12346535, - U.S. USAGE ONLY. Pre-measured containers eliminate the need to measure the amount of GM Top-Engine Cleaner being added to the J 35800-A, injector cleaning tool. In Canada, use P/N 992872. It will be necessary to measure and dispense Top Engine Cleaner into the J 35800-A, injector cleaning tool.
Injector Balance Test
The following tools, or their equivalent, are required:
J 35800-A Fuel Injector Cleaner
J 37287 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter
J 42964 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter
J 42873 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter
Four pre-measured GM Top-Engine Cleaner Containers, 24 ml (0.812 oz) each, P/N 12346535, U.S. USAGE ONLY. In Canada, use P/N 992872, 443.6 ml (15 oz) bottle. It will be necessary to measure and dispense 48 ml (1.6 oz) of Top Engine-Cleaner into the J 35800-A, injector cleaning tool twice during this procedure. See Injector Cleaning Procedure below for further information.
Important
Analysis of returned Multec II injectors indicate that terminal fretting corrosion may also be responsible for the conditions described in this bulletin. Since fretting corrosion (microscopic in nature) is nearly impossible to detect in the field, the following steps should be taken to ensure that fretting corrosion is not an issue before performing any additional diagnostics.
Fretting is a term used to describe a tiny rubbing motion that occurs between two surfaces. Fretting corrosion refers to a build up of insulating, oxidized debris that forms on electrical connections due to a fretting action at the contact points. Injector vibration, engine vibration, and electrical harness movement are contributors to the fretting motion.
Depending on how large the build-up of oxide is will determine how drastic the effect will be on the injector circuit. Worst case is a total loss of continuity in the connection resulting in P0200 (Injector Circuit Fault) and P0300 (Misfire) codes being set. If the oxides create a high resistance circuit, insufficient current will be available to properly open the injector, resulting in unstable fuel delivery and ultimately a P0300 DTC. High resistance in the circuit will not necessarily set a DTC P0200. Keep in mind that a connection with fretting corrosion is unstable. Since movement causes fretting, any vibration may create a condition where the connection varies from an open circuit, to a high resistance connection, to a good connection.
Important
Unless intermittent mis-fire due to fretting corrosion is suspected when servicing 3.1L and 3.4L engines, skip steps 1 through 4. Steps 1 through 4 may be performed at a future date when the upper intake is removed.
Disconnect one injector electrical connector.
Apply a small amount, about the size of a BB, of dielectric grease, P/N 12377900 (in Canada, P/N 10953529) to the female terminal. Be sure to cover both cavities.
Reconnect electrical connector to injector.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 for all remaining injectors.
Using the Tech 2®, perform an injector balance test. Use the Tech 2® to select each individual injector. Record the pressure drop of each injector on the repair order.
Important
It is mandatory that the dealer record the results of the Injector Balance Test on the repair order.
Subtract the lowest pressure drop, leanest injector, from the highest pressure drop, richest injector. If there is more than a 20 kPa (3 psi) difference between the lowest and highest pressure drop, then the fuel injectors may be the cause of the driveability symptom. See the example tables below to determine if cleaning is appropriate.
If there is a 20 kPa (3 psi) difference, or less, between the highest and lowest fuel pressure drop, the fuel injectors are operating properly and further diagnostics should be performed on the vehicle.
Example One Injector Number
Pressure Drop
1
43 kPa (6 psi)
2
68 kPa (10 psi)
3
42 kPa (6 psi)
4
41 kPa (6 psi)
5
44 kPa (6 psi)
6
42 kPa (6 psi)
Maximum Difference: 68-41 = 27 kPa (10-6 = 4 psi)
Although the pressure drop is greater than 20 kPa (3 psi), cylinder 2 stands out as being rich when compared to the other injectors. Do not clean the injectors. Replace injector number 2. Charge time to labor operation J5650.
Example Two Injector Number
Pressure Drop
1
23 kPa (3 psi)
2
48 kPa (7 psi)
3
24 kPa (3 psi)
4
43 kPa (6 psi)
5
44 kPa (6 psi)
6
46 kPa (7 psi)
Maximum Difference: 48-23 = 25 kPa (7-3 = 4 psi)
The pressure drop is greater than 20 kPa (3 psi). Injectors 1 and 3 appear to be lean when compared to injectors 2, 4, 5 and 6. Clean and re-test pressure drop. If cleaning does not restore flow on injectors 1 or 3, replace the defective injector or injectors as necessary. Charge time to labor operation J5650.

Injector Cleaning Procedure

Notice
GM Top-Engine Cleaner is the only injector cleaning agent recommended. DO NOT USE OTHER CLEANING AGENTS, AS THEY MAY CONTAIN METHANOL WHICH CAN DAMAGE FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS. Under NO circumstances should the GM Top-Engine Cleaner be added to the vehicle fuel tank, as it may damage the fuel pump and other system components.

Do not exceed a 10% cleaning solution concentration. Higher concentrations may damage fuel system components. Testing has demonstrated that exceeding the 10% cleaning solution concentration does not improve the effectiveness of this procedure.
During this procedure, you will need a total of 960 ml (32.4 oz) of cleaning solution (10% Top Engine Cleaner/90% Regular Unleaded Gasoline). That is two tanks of solution for the J 35800-A Fuel Injector Cleaner Tank. Other brands of tools may have a different capacity and would, therefore, require more or less tanks to complete the procedure. You must use all 960 ml (32.4 oz) of solution (10% Top Engine Cleaner/90% Regular Unleaded Gasoline) to insure complete injector cleaning.

hows it going?

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician