Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

This morning my wife went to leave for work and the key fob…

Customer Question
This morning my wife...

This morning my wife went to leave for work and the key fob would not unlock the car. She used the key to unlock the door. When she went to start the car, there was no power. Gauges were off, no radio, no lights. This has happened before. Then a few seconds later the power returned and she started the car right up. New ECM, about 6 months old, new battery about 6 months old. Sometimes while driving, the radio only will shut off and turn on, with the clock reset, but the car does not die. Not sure where to look and see what it wrong. 2009 Saturn Vue XE 2.4l

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Fluctuate

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

2009 Vue 2.4L XE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix myself. New Engine Control Module. New Battery. Cleaned Battery Terminals and tightened.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Saturn
9/18/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a few questions before we proceed.

I know you said you checked the cable terminals but did you check the other ends of those cables for corrosion and tightness? some times it is good to disconnect them there and clean and reinstall them to make sure. The other thing is look for any corrosion around the fuse block.Do these things and get back to me if you need further assistance.

I did not check connections and the fuse block for corrosion. I should have time to look into it tonight. Do you have any other recommendation while I am under the hood?

Do that first and get back to me as I feel it is an intermittent power loss It may be either corrosion bad connection or possibly a failing relay. The other thing you can do is what we call a wiggle test. Have the key in on position and have someone sit in car with items that normally fail when this happens and you start to wiggle all the main wiring harness that goes from the fuse block under the hood to the firewall and see if those items act up. Let me know after you do all this if you need further help.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician