Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

09 Saturn steering column clunking 65000 miles on car,

Customer Question
09 Saturn steering column clunking...
09 Saturn steering column clunking 65000 miles on car
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: sounds like the steering column can hear it when turning left/right about 1000miles or so
JA: What is the model of your '09 Saturn?
Customer: aura xe
JA: Are you fixing your Aura yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks appreciate it
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Saturn
9/17/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is a common problem with these, the slide for the lower column gets dry and causes this clunk, there is a slide on the lower column, that allows to colapse in the event of and accident, and it needs to be lubricated, you will have to remove the column from the steering rack and extend it out, and use a grease like wheel bearing grease to lube it and reinstall it,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE Certified Technician