Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Just replaced the motor in a 2008 astra that we bought.

Everything comes on but it...
Just replaced the motor in a 2008 astra that we bought. Everything comes on but it won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No everything has been replaced. Could it be the anti theft
JA: Are you fixing your Astra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We bought the car off of a friend of mine. It has not had a battery in it for over a year
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It won't start. Lol
8/20/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does engine turn over? Have you done the 30 minute relearn procedure?

What is the 30 minute relearn. No the engine does not turn over

Does check engine light come on for bulb check when first turning key to on position?

How do I find the 30 minute relearn?

Turn key to start position for a second then leave in on position for 10 minutes, off 5 seconds, on 10 minutes, off 5 seconds, on 10 minutes, then start. Let me know if it works, I kinda doubt it will work since vehicle doesn't even crank. Let me know, thanks.

Okay. Thanks
Hopefully it will everything else comes on, you can hear fuel pump and everything

If it doesn't help let me know and we can go over some other options. Thanks.

Didn't work

Ok, we will need to do some more testing. Does check engine light come on for bulb check when turning key to on position?

Then it flashes
You can hear everything turn on but engine won't crank

Give me a few minutes to look into this, thanks.

Okay

Have you tried to check diagnostic codes using a scan tool?

it didn't show anything about engine. IAT sensor and O2 sensor came up

What were the codes?

Just a second have to go get the paper I wrote them on out of the garage
P2096, P2138, P0496, P0013, P0073
The new motor only has 49,000 miles on it, and replaced the starter

P2138 often means the ECM has failed. At this point I'd check power/grounds at ECM and if good replace. Here is a connector diagram to help with testing. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w95a73hb5hp76ep/ecmcd.pdf?dl=0

Okay thanks

No problem, I'm happy to help. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Dan, Technician
It worked! Thank you so very much! You are amazing!
Cary York
Phone call session started
Dan, Technician