Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

Excessive rattling noise coming from engine but car seems to

Customer Question

excessive rattling noise coming from engine but car seems to run ok
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: started last night and it sounds as if coming from under valve cover
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2002 saturn l200
JA: Are you fixing your L200 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: havent tried anything need to know where to begin
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how would i check the oil pressure
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually causes this fault here is a faulty valve lash adjuster.These can fail and causes a rattle noise on the cam shaft with the engine running.If you have no warning lights and the engine is not knocking and is running o.k. I suspect the lash adjusters need replaced.The valves cover needs removed to access and replace these.The part numbers are 24100005 ans you should have 16 of these.They are around $10 each in most cases.This can run up to around 6 hours labor to have all replaced.

The oil pressure does need tested.The procedure and possible causes are listed below if you have a low oil pressure issue:

Tools Required
J 44953 Oil Pressure Gage Adapter

- With the vehicle on a level surface, allow adequate drain down time of 2-3 minutes and measure for a low oil level. Add the recommended grade engine oil and fill the crankcase until the oil level measures full on the oil level indicator.
- Run the engine, and verify low, or no oil pressure on the vehicle gage or light. Listen for a noisy valve train or a knocking noise.
- Inspect for:
- Oil diluted by moisture or unburned fuel mixtures
- Improper oil viscosity for the expected temperature
- Incorrect or malfunctioning oil pressure sender
- Incorrect or malfunctioning oil pressure gage
- Plugged oil filter
- Malfunctioning oil bypass valve
- Remove the oil pressure sender or another engine block oil gallery plug.
- Install J 44953 and an oil pressure gage and measure the engine oil pressure.
- Compare the readings to specifications. See: Engine Oil Pressure > Specifications
- If the engine oil pressure is below specifications, inspect the engine for one or more of these:
- Oil pump worn or dirty.
- Oil pump-to-engine front cover bolts loose.
- Oil pump screen loose, plugged, or damaged
- Oil pump screen O-ring seal missing or damaged
- Malfunctioning oil pump pressure regulator valve
- Excessive bearing clearance.
- Cracked, porous or restricted oil galleries
- Oil gallery plugs missing or incorrectly installed.
- Broken lash adjusters

Oil Pressure - Minimum

@ 1,000 RPM ................................ 344.75 - 551.60 kPa (50 - 80 psi)

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete