sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

2005 Saturn ion automatic transmission. I have up and down

Customer Question

2005 Saturn ion automatic transmission. I have up and down play on the driver side half shaft at the transaxle. Seems like a bearing or something is out. What does it take to change the bearings at that point?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there was truly excessive play here then it would require transmission removal and disassembly to inspect the components and replace as necessary. I usually see people question play in these areas when it's actually normal though, and I'm not sure that you have an issue.

What symptoms are you trying to diagnose?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When going over bumps you can hear a rattling noise under the left side of the front. We looked everything over and the only thing we can find is a lot of up and down movement on the cv shaft where it goes into transmission. The seal is also leaking

The seal leaking may be related to excessive play if it's actually excessive, but it may just be a leaking axle seal. This definitely won't be related to a suspension rattle.