Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 3.0 - Sat for a year. Fuel pump doesn't

Customer Question

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 3.0 - Sat for a year. Fuel pump doesn't work.
JA: Has your car been stalling?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Battery - Replaced with new. Checked Fuel Pump fuse/relay - are OK. Fuel Pump relay clicks when key is turned to start. Removed Fuel Pump relay and shorted 30 and 87 on relay - still no fuel or sound from Fuel Pump. Next, was going to insert Current Meter in series with shorted relay to see if there is even at least a little bit of current demand from the Fuel Pump.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dash light all come on and sequence normally. Before the SUV was parked it ran, but was in Low Power Mode.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Why do you say fuel pump isn't working? Did you do a fuel pressure test?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did the Fuel Pressure test while cranking the engine.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If no pressure this would most likely mean pump has failed or filter is clogged. I'd start by replacing filter if it hasn't been done then check pressure again. If pressure is still low verify pump is getting good power/ground and replace. Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnma69lw7zy2jym/sv1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtlxoxhsffjz0vj/sv2.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Here are testing instructions from manual

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zqpufsfamsj8qw/fpd.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I insert an ammeter in place of the relay (between #30 and #87 on relay), if the filter is clogged, should I expect to see a current draw? Should I expect to hear the pump running?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You can usually hear pump running but doing the pressure test and voltage test is only sure way to know. If filter was clogged you would still see a amperage draw. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. Should the Fuel Pump be running when the Ignition is in 'ON' position? I have been seeing that the Fuel Pump relay is on while the motor is being cranked.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
only.
That is, the Fuel Pump relay is only on while the engine is being cranked.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

It should only run for a couple seconds when first turned to on position to pressurize the line. Then it should continue to stay on with key in start position.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, will investigate that. Will start with the Fuel Filter and let you know what happens. Thank you!
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

No problem, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so feel free to let me know if you need anything. Thanks again and have a good weekend.