George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Just heard clacking coming from my car and smoke came out.

Customer Question

just heard clacking coming from my car and smoke came out. it looked like the radiar was over heating. what is it when yuo hear the clacking when back and starting.. i checked he oil and it had oil in it
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: I put some cooland in the reserve and saw a little leak from it. that does not explain the clacking from the engiine. i thick it may be the oil pump or the transmission because the o/d off light came on over the weekend and went off when i notice i had it in second guar. Granding noise also coming from the sterring while. what is it
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 1999 Dodge Durrango 5.9 2 wd
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had a guy come out couple of weeks ago and replace the thermostate and drain the radiar what can this be
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

It sounds like maybe the engine is overheating. Normally the only cause of smoke from the engine would be an overheat causing steam to vent out.

If the smoke came from the exhaust pipe it could be an internal engine failure.

As far as the clacking noise goes, did it sound like fast clicking or slow, steady thumping?