Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

I have a 2003 Saturn ion sedan with power windows that don't

work. I was able to...
i have a 2003 Saturn ion sedan with power windows that don't work. I was able to fix the passenger window with a wire patch under the switch. Now the driver's window won't work. The wiring harness in the driver's side front pillar has a broken wire in the harness. I can't use the patch system to fix this problem. What can I do to fix this problem?
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: yes. I found the fuse for the passenger window in the kick panel under the interior console. 30amp j-case blew when I wiggled the harness for the driver's window. I replaced that fuse, but it only operates the passenger window. Can you tell me where the fuse is for the driver's window? please.
JA: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I opened the driver's door and split the plastic cover protecting the wiring harness in the left side pillar that operates the driver's window. I found a broken wire in the harness. I located one end of this wire, but I can't find the other end.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I might have to replace the control panel in the driver's door as well, but the wiring harness needs to fixed first.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/15/2017
Jason Hablutzel

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today on your Saturn. The main fuse for all the windows is the 30 amp fuse in side panel I will post a pic of the schematic so you can chase the wires they are controlled by the BCM thru the switch.

Here is a description and operation of the switch's, you should be able to test at the switch and at the window motor to tell if you are missing power or ground because it may just be a bad switch or something else or if its a wire just run a new wire.

Power Windows System Components

The power window system consists of the following components:

• Driver power window switch - Controls the up and down operation of all power windows
  • Front passenger power window switch - Controls the up and down operation of the front passenger power window
  • LR power window switch - Controls the up and down operation of the LR power window
  • RR power window switch - Controls the up and down operation of the RR power window
  • Window lockout switch - Part of the driver power window switch and enables or disables rear power window operation from the rear window switches
  • Power window motors in each of the doors
  • PWR WINDOWS 30A fuse - Located in the body control module (BCM) fuse panel and provides power window system power when the ignition is in ACC or RUN or when in retained accessory power (RAP) mode

Power Window System Controls

The power window system will operate any time the ignition is the ACC or RUN position. The power window system will also operate whenever the BCM is in RAP mode. The driver power window switch contains individual window switches for each of power windows. All windows may be controlled up and down from the driver power window switch. The individual passenger power window switches will only control the up and down operation of their respective power window.

Power Window Motor Operation

Each power window contains a reversible power window motor. The direction the window travels is dependent upon the polarity of the supply voltage. By reversing polarity of the supply voltage the window motor will move up or down. Each power window motor is internally circuit breaker protected.

Driver Power Window Operation

Battery voltage is supplied to the driver power window switch through the accessory voltage supply circuit. The driver power window switch also receives a constant ground source. The power window motor control circuits are connected to ground through the normally closed up and down contacts of the driver power window switch. When the driver power switch is placed in the down position, the power window motor down control circuit is switched to 12 volts and is applied to the down side of the driver power window motor. Since the other side of the driver power motor is connected to ground through the normally closed contacts of the up switch, the driver window travels down. By placing the driver power window switch in the up position, the polarity of the driver power window motor is reversed and the window travels up.

Driver Power Window Express Down Operation

If the driver power window switch is pressed momentarily in the down position past the first detent, the window will travel to the full open position unsupervised. To cancel to express down operation, momentarily press the driver power window up switch.

Front Passenger Power Window Operation

Battery voltage is supplied to the front passenger power window switch through the accessory voltage supply circuit. Ground for the passenger power window motor is supplied through normally closed up and down contacts of both the front passenger power window switch and the driver power window switch. When the front passenger power window switch is placed in the down position, the power window motor down control circuit is switched to 12 volts and is applied to the down side of the front passenger power window motor. Since the other side of the front passenger power motor is connected to ground through the normally closed up contacts of both the front passenger and driver power window switches, the window travels down. By placing the front passenger power window switch in the up position, the polarity of the power window motor is reversed and the window travels up.

The front passenger power window can also be controlled from the driver power window switch.

Rear Passenger Power Window Operation

The rear passenger power window switches receive battery voltage through the window lockout control circuit if the window lockout function is disabled. Ground for the rear passenger power window motors is supplied through normally closed up and down contacts of both the rear passenger power window switches and the driver power window switch. When the either rear passenger power window switch is placed in the down position, the power window motor down control circuit is switched to 12 volts and is applied to the down side of the rear passenger power window motor. Since the other side of the rear passenger power motor is connected to ground through the normally closed up contacts of both the rear passenger and driver power window switches, the window travels down. By placing the rear passenger power window switch in the up position, the polarity of the power window motor is reversed and the window travels up.

The rear passenger power windows can also be controlled from the driver power window switch.

Power Window Lockout Operation

The driver power window switch contains a window lockout switch. The window lockout switch completes or interrupts the window lockout control circuit. If the window lockout switch is enabled, there is no voltage available at the rear power window switches and rear power window will not operate from the rear power window switches. The rear power windows will operate from the driver power window switch.

Let me know if I can assist you any further from here and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

If you need any further assistance please let me know and when I have answered your question and you are completely satisfied please leave positive feedback as this is how we get compensated for our time.

Jason Hablutzel
Jason Hablutzel
Jason Hablutzel
Jason Hablutzel