George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Several months ago, the ""engine light" came on and stayed

Customer Question

Several months ago, the ""engine light" came on and stayed on.
We took our 2008 Saturn Vue XR 3.6L to a GM dealer and they diagnosed the problem as a bad ECM...no other symptoms at the time. No work was done at the time because the estimate was $1500!!!
Now the "engine" light is still on but the transmission is slipping a little in the first two gears, then fine afterwards...no grinding at all. If I buy a OEM replacement ECM myself, can a local repair shop like Pep Boys or Firestone install and reprogram this module or must I go back to a GM dealership?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, do you know what the original code was that turned on the check engine light? also the the transmission issue id going ot be a totally different issue as transmission faults do not turn on the check engine light. the transmission control module will need to be scanned separately with an enhanced scan tool capable of interrogating the TCM.

just checking in to see how its going