tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  own's repair shop 25yrs
14541291

No hot air from heater. smoke/steam wisping from behind

Customer Question

No hot air from heater. White smoke/steam wisping from behind engine block
JA: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?
Customer: Ambient temperature at best. There has been a coolant leak. I replaced the upper radiator hose as there was a crack. I'm unsure whether that was the only leak. Coolant still boils after running to operating temp
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 02 L300 V6
JA: Are you fixing your L300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to do as much myself as possible. Other than replacing the upper radiator hose and two different rubber caps on the radiator, I've just been trying to pinpoint the leak.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. Coolant loss, boiling coolant, no heat from heater, and wisps of smoke from back of engine. I'm thinking heater core pump. But I don't know how to confirm or rule out.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

are you saying that you still need to add coolant and there is steam coming from the engine still?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I added twice as the tstat opened. But now it's just boiling. I'm getting wispy white smoke (steam?) Coming from the back of the engine block. Isn't that where the heater core pump is?

you need to be able tolook at the rear of the engine to see where the leak is coming from...

the heater hoses are back there and may be busted..this is something you will need to look at..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. So would you say that the heater lines and heater core pump would be a logical spot to start at in the morning? Also, what am I looking for to confirm or rule out a pump failure? Or is it more than likely a leak? Would a leak lead to no hot air from the heater?

yes,,you need to look at the heater hoses and find that leak to fix it

there is no other pump other than the cars water pump

you need to fix the leak first..even if it does have other problems,you will never know until the leak is fixed

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a Haynes manual for the car and it states that the car has a water pump, a heater core pump, and an auxiliary water pump. Are you sure that the water pump is the only pump?

what is the year,make,model and engine size?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2002 Saturn L300 V6

ok

the first thing you need to do is to find and fix the leak

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zo59urqy9mnc9mt/0107-saturn-heater.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/zo59urqy9mnc9mt/0107-saturn-heater.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help