Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Won't start, Turns over fine...but won't crank, Security

Customer Question
Won't start JA: Have you checked...
Won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Turns over fine...but won't crank
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: Security light is on...but not flashing 2000 Saturn SW
JA: Are you fixing your SW yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried the reset option (turning on...wait 10 minutes...turn off...repeat 3 times
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This started after battery died
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Saturn
1/3/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Amedee, Saturn Technician replied 10 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can

Are you saying the engine does not crank over?

Are you looking for possible causes?

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

1G8ZJ8279YZ257818

Thank you for the VIN!

So the security light is on solid with the key on correct?

Security light on solid
We pull this car behind a motor home. We have to turn the ignition on so the steering wheel doesn't lock. We left it on too long and the battery died. Charged the battery...but now it won't start. It turns over...but doesn't start.

Thank you for that information.

Have you tried to do the security relearn procedure?

I have tried that, but the SECURITY light NEVER goes out. I waited 10, 15, and even 20 minutes

Ok, then it is likley a faulty passlock sensor or Body control module.

Can I get the codes stored in the computer?

I have no codes
I am stuck in a campground and I have no way of getting codes

Ok, no problem.

If the security relearn procedure does not work, you can try to reset the computer by doing a capacitor discharge procedure by removing the battery cables from the battery and rubbing them together for 5 minutes. This will reset all of the modules on board the vehicle and may do the trick!

If not, the passlock sensor/ignition lock cylinder and or the body control module will need to be replaced and the relearn procedure will need to be performed once the new parts are installed.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello!

It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance?

Please let me know!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician