Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2003 ion, first had rattling noise coming from passenger

2003 ion, first had rattling noise coming from passenger side of of the engine. could it be a belt tentioner problem? soon after, the car cranks, but will not start. there is a tapping noise coming from the air filter.
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: just got fuel from the fuel rail. did not check for spark at the plugs, or any where else
JA: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my buddy is handy with taking out and replacing components, not to good at diagnosis. we took the starter out and got it tested, then looked under the hood for fuses that were related to cranking, they all look good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Sounds like a possible timing chain issue, what engine do you have?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2.2

These engines are common for timing chain problems but it is fairly easy to replace yourself. I'd recommend a compression test, if compression is below 100 psi on any cylinder then replacing chain chain, tensioners, and guides. The kit is available on ebay for around $70. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what do i need to do a compression test

All you need is a compression tester which you can buy from parts store for around $20. Then it screws into spark plug hole, you crank engine for about 3-5 seconds, and then look at reading on gauge. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks

No problem, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks again and have a good night!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hey Dan, putting back the timing chain and the first thing was to put the oiler back on. i used a torque wrench at 89 lbs. and the bolt shered off. my friend tested the torque wrench out on a lug nut and found that it is not working. tell me how important is the oiler, can it go without one? i'm trying to get the shered bolt off right now with an easy out. not going too smooth.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hey Dan, its Mike again. i got the bolt out with an ez out. we'er back on track for tomorrow afternoon.

Good to hear, let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hey Dan, ran into trouble with the marks on the timing chain not lining up. the three sprockets are correct, but can't seem to get the chain right. the big problem is the in how it failed in the first place. the fixed timing chain guide was broken into many pieces. the top bolt was missing and the bottom bolt head was severely damaged. picked up two bolts from the dealer. the bottom bolt is in. the top bolt is not catching any thread. any suggestions? my buddie wanted to ask you about putting two part epoxy lightly on the threads then pushing the bolt in place.

That would probably work, anything at this point is going to be a bit of a rig job but should still be fine. I think they have something at parts store specifically to help restore worn threads.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hey Dan, what do you think about having the correct timing marks for the sprockets, and the chain not hitting the correct marks?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hey Dan, we put it back together without knowing how to correctly adjust the sprockets. we thought we had the piston closest to the passenger side all the way up. with the fuel pressure up, we tried to start it and it would not. my friend thinks we need to get a mechanic here that can correctly set the timing marks. can you help with telling how to put the sprockets on the key ways, then adjust them to the correct marks? 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock? by the way, the upper bolt for the fix timing chain guide is in there good, we used JB weld steel stick.

As long as all the timing marks are lining up there shouldn't be a issue. Did you buy new chain and sprockets?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the issue is, we don't know how to get the sprockets to line up at 10 o'clock for the exhaust and 2 o'clock for the intake. when i took off the the valve cover initially, the marks were not correct. we put in a new kit and when the top sprockets are on the key way, they don't line up, how do you adjust them?