Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I got a 2003 Saturn lw300 no start condition no fuel

Customer Question

I got a 2003 Saturn lw300 no start condition no fuel pressure and code p0343 andp0341 for the cam sensor which I just replaced.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you

When you attempt to start your car, does it sound normal or is it seem to be spinning over faster than usual?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's sounds normal the timing belt is still spinning
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car has cam codes but there is no fuel pressure does the cam sensor control the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or should I be just looking at the fuel pump

cam sensor does not control the fuel pump, just the fuel pulse width (injectors). The fuel pump should be working even with a cam sensor code. I would first start by looking at the fuel pump. I would check the fuel pump relay and fuse and also check the power to the pump literally. The easiest way to do it is to jump the relay with a paperclip and send power to it.

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you still need help with your issue. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok I got fuel pressure back but the car isn't starting still and I got code p0343 and p0341 for the cam sensor what should I be looking at ?

see if you can pop the oil filler cap off and see the valves moving when disconnected. If the valves are not moving, then you have likely got a broken timing belt

another simple thing to check would be to make sure that the wiring and connector for the cam sensor are in good condition

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took the timing cover off and the timing belt is still moving like it should I think it a wire issue to the cam sensor have you sen wiring issue with these car with the cam senor

I have not seen a problem with the wiring to the cam sensors on these cars, but it does not mean that you do not have one. Do you have access to a scan tool that can read the pid data on the sensor live?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I should my snap on solus should be able to do it now its suppose to have a 5v reference on the grey wire right?

That is correct, yes sir. Then there should be a sign wave for the signal that corresponds with camshaft sprocket position. I would look at the wave form on the solus first and then if it does not show one, start checking the wiring.

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your progress. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The 5v reference isn't present when I checked the wiring what pin on the pcm would that wire be so I can check and see if the pcm is sending a signal?

connector j1 pin 51

The pins should be numbered on the harness side

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Were exacly is the pcm ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I back pined the wire only getting .410v on the pcm side have you seen the pcm in this car fail a lot

Oh, yikes, I hate to hear that bud. I have seen it a couple of times but I consider it to be a rare problem. If that is happening with the key on, then you seem to have a bad pcm

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replaced the car battery and the cam sensor code is gone now and I have the voltage to the cam sensor. But the car still wont start I got 4 codes that wont erase at all. I got p0118 for a coolant temp, and p2138,p0222, p0123
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 10 months ago.

Ok, at least you have determined the low voltage for the cam was just a battery...always cover the basics!

Are these codes new?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yea these codes were not there before what should I be checking ?