Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 years GM master tech..ase mater tech
19513769

I need help with my 2003 Saturn Vue. It has everyone stumped

I need help with my 2003 Saturn Vue. It has everyone stumped right now. I see from searching online the same issue but cannot seem to find the answer. I have an intermittent no crank no start. Background, the car has 202,000 miles. It is a manual transmission. I am the original owner and I love my car. For 11 1/2 years I had NO MAJOR REPAIRS. The first repair was my starter and, frustratingly, it had to be replaced two times. On the third time (bad starters) rather than having it replaced again, under warranty, I had it rebuilt. The next repair was a cracked exhaust manifold. Oh well. Lots of mileage, what do you expect. Then the alternator. It took 3 of those, too. In that process, I believe my BCM was damaged, but didn't know it then. Battery most certainly was. Around 187,000 miles the clutch was slipping so I decided to replace it. With the transmission out we noticed the water pump was needing to go and some other potential issues. With the car having not cost me a dime in repairs over its life I spent the money and had my engine rebuilt. All has been good. The BCM did go. Now, in the last 3 weeks I have this no crank, no start, intermittently. I have bells, lights, radio, a/c, locks, windows, etc. just when you turn the key, nothing. Chevy had it for 3 days and couldn't get it to repeat until the day I picked it up and couldn't explain it. Ruling things out, we replaced the clutch switch (they had 1, last one, in stock ordered in 2009). Things seemed fine for 2 days. Now, we are back at it again. It is weird. It seems like it is somewhere between the clutch/clutch switch and its communication/contact with the ignition system. The starter is fine. The alternator and battery are fine. Could some other fuse/relay being faulty interfere with the communication? In the 15 minutes I couldn't get it started yesterday and last Tuesday, after elbowing the driver's door it fricken started. For the Chevy electrician, after grinding the clutch into the floor, it started. It makes no sense.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

we have seen anything from ignition switches to the wiring to the starter be an issue

can you cut this problem in 1/2 you need to unplug the clutch neutral switch and when its acting up see if the yellow wire shows 12 volts when it will not start OR jump the 2 terminals onn the connector for the neutral switch and see if it ever acts up again with the neutral switch jumped

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Will see if we can give either of those a shot.

let me know

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wish I could tell you it is all resolved. Right now I am in limbo and am extremely frustrated. The technician at Chevy that works with Saturns has been on disability, hopefully returning Monday. I'm now hearing it's doubtful. I've been waiting for a call back. In the mean time the problem persists. I stopped by my personal mechanic's shop today, given him your input, and have arranged an appointment for my car to be seen Tuesday to evaluate the ignition / ignition switch, starter and wiring. I can't wait for the dealer. Right now my suspicions lie with the ignition / ignition switch. If it is the switch I will be quite angry as it was replaced under recall just over a year ago and I am understanding not under warranty. My original ignition switch, recalled by GM, was in that car for 12 years without any significant problem, except the key would fall out of the ignition while running. The new ignition, if faulty, would only have been in my car 14 mos. I have a hard time seeing it go bad so quickly without there being a defect. Really do appreciate your input. Wish I had better news at this point.

ok let me know

but like i said try to cut this problem in half like i said we the shops stop guessing

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Problem was able to be duplicated. It seems to be in the ignition. Ugh. In talking with the service department at the dealership they are under the impression if it is in the ignition there should be a B2960 pass lock code arising. The starter is fine. Clutch switch is fine. Grounds and wiring are fine.

no the passlock lock is not involved in the power from the ignition switch to the neutral switch