Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Blower not working. Trying to figure out if I can fix it

Blower not working. Trying...
Blower not working. Trying to figure out if I can fix it myself.
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2001 L200
JA: Are you fixing your L200 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I worked on this almost two years ago and I'm just refreshing my memory. It's my son's car and he just moved back. I replaced some wiring just behind the radio, can't remember the name of the wiring. I took it into a dealer and they charged me $1000 and it ran for about two days.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I haven't checked the fuses yet. He just got back into town a couple days ago. I don't have the wiring diagram. I assume I will have to figure out where the fuses are and test them first. I had purchased a blower motor but he never had it put in.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
10/13/2016
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

YES, you can fix it yourself and I can help!

Lets start by diagnosing this problem. I take it the blower motor is not coming on? Is that the issue your having?

Would you like a wiring diagram of the blower motor circuit?

Would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Hello? Where did you go?

Well, I am going to send you some information as I might be off line in a bit when you respond back.

If the blower motor is not working, we check for power and ground going to the blower motor on the two wires that go directly into it. If both power and ground are present but the blower motor is not working, the blower motor is bad and will need to be replaced.

If the blower motor happens to be missing power, then we check the fuses, switch and relay. The blower motor, relay, resistor and the switch are all easy to replace.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What tools will I need to do these tests?

Sorry for the delay!

You only need a test light or a voltmeter to check for power and ground going to the blower motor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A couple things: 1) I am not a mechanic by any means, but I can slowly figure things out. 2) I know about where the blower motor is. I assume I will need to remove a few things to get to it. If so, it will take me some time to do that. Any hints would be appreciated. 3) What time of day are you available? I will only be able to work on this in the evening or on the weekend. If you are not available at those times, is someone else available?

I do this full time and try to be around as much as possible to respond to my customer to provide them with the best service I can.

YES, even if I am not around, someone will be here to help you. Please give me a chance to respond if I happen to be off line.

The blower motor is not too hard to remove and replace. There may be a plastic cover under the dash that you will need to remove to gain access to the blower motor.. but thats about it. However, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Lets do the diagnostic steps first and then once we know it is the blower motor (or something else), I can send over the procedure to remove and replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so I will get a voltmeter. I have the electrical diagram you sent, but it doesn't mean much to me. Can you give the diagnostic steps?

YES, sure can!

1. Turn the key ON or to the RUN position

2. Gain access to the wires going to the blower motor (I would disconnect the electrical connector going to the blower motor)

3. Check for battery voltage on the yellow wire

4. Check for ground on the black wire

To check for battery voltage, the black lead of your meter needs to be on battery ground. Or you can use the ground on the black wire of the connector provided it has a good ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forgive my ignorance. Where do I access the wires going to the blower motor?

NO problem. Once you remove the plastic cover under the passenger side dash, you should see the blower motor and the wires going to the blower motor.

Wait.. one minute..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the blower motor is not under the hood just below the windshield?

I just double checked for you and it looks like I was wrong. The blower motor is accessed from the TOP or outside and it is hard to get to that I originally thought.

Most of them are located inside the vehicle under the dash on the passenger side.. but not yours. This set up is a bit different.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, that's where I thought it was, which is why I thought it would take me a while to get to it. Bummer, I wish it was easier. Will I have to remove at least one of the wipers? I will have to get to that point and then get back to you. Thanks.

YES, both wire arms need to be removed including the entire cowl to access the blower set up.

However, it looks harder than it is.. once your in there, it wont be too bad.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you available now?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the blower motor off. When I touch the red lead to the connector (yellow wire) the multimeter reads about 0.93. is that what it should read?

It should not read any voltage with the blower motor turned off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the key on run, and the fan switch turned off there is no voltage reading. If the fan switch is turned to high it reads 0.93 voltage.

It should read battery voltage with the switch in the HIGH position

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No matter how I touch the connector I can't get it to read more than 0.93 with the fan switch on high. What next?

Check the orange wire going to the blower relay for power.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forgive my ignorance. Where is that?

Do yo8u have your VIN handy?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1G8JU52F51Y539072
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
FYI, I have a new blower motor here to install.

The HVAC Blower Relay is located in the Left Instrument Panel Fuse Block.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found the relay and pulled it out. Please help me understand now how to check it.

No problem. Just check power on the orange wire just like you were doing at the blower motor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By the way, the AC light does not come on when you push the AC button

Thank you for that information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pulled the relay out and the relay has four prongs. So you're saying that I check for voltage in those 4 holes? I do not see an orange wire.

YES< thats correct. Check for voltage on the female pins that the relay plugs into.

Do this with the key on and blower motor turned on high.

Two out of the four terminals should have battery voltage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't get any more than .04 in any of the holes

Are you sure your on the right relay?

This is with the key on and blower switch turned on high?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
key was on and blower switch on high

Ok, then we have two seperate problems. no power from the HVAC use and no power from the switch.

If you look at the diagram I sent, it shows where this relay gets power from. If the switch was replaced, maybe the switch does not have or is not getting power. The brown wire going into the switch should have power on it with the key in the RUN position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I go ahead and put the cover and wipers back on? I assume problem is not there.

I would diagnose it first before putting it all back together..

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you available? I figured out how to check the blower motor and the blower motor appears to run fine when connected directly to the battery. I had purchased a new blower motor, so I just installed the new one. I also checked the relay in the left instrument panel fuse block and it appears to be working. I checked all fuses and they are good. My uneducated guess is there is bad wiring somewhere. When I pulled the relay and checked the female pins for voltage, I did not get battery voltage.I am looking at the electrical diagram, but don't understand it. So, I'm trying to understand this. Are these two separate issues: 1) the blower doesn't run, and 2) the AC light does not come on? or are these problems one issue?

Hello!

YES, I am available right now.

The problem needs to be diagnosed before I can answer your two questions.

So we need to finish diagnosing this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, so what should I try next?

Check for power on the yellow wire at the blower motor with it turned on high and the key on.

If there is no power, then..

Check for power going into the HVAC blower relay on the orange wire. (this wire should be hot at all times.. even with the key off)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last time I did check the yellow wire at the blower motor with blower on high and key on. Did not get battery voltage. Then I checked the relay in the left instrument panel fuse block and did not get batter voltage there either.

Got it.

So then we trace the orange wire back (using the diagram I have provided for you) to the 40 amp HVAC blower fuse located in the underhood fuse block. Check this fuse.. not only to see if this fuse is good, but be sure this fuse HAS BATTERY VOLTAGE on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is battery voltage at the 40 amp fuse.

Ok, and if this fuse is good, then the correct diagnoses would be to check for power leaving the underhood fuse block on the orange wire. If that checks out good, then yes, there is a break or open in the ORANGE wire between the underhood fuse block and blower relay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I just be able to touch the pin with my lead to check for voltage? I saw a guy on YouTube insert a wire into the female pin to check for voltage.

If I understand you correctly, yes, you just need to touch the metal part of the female portion to get a voltage reading. The other end of the test light or voltmeter lead will of course need to be touching a good ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I figured out that the hole was so small that the lead was not making contact. I inserted a small wire into the hole and got battery voltage in the bottom left hole. No voltage in the other three holes.

Which wire or circuits are you testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The relay in the left instrument panel.

So there is no voltage on the orange wire going to the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm saying there is voltage in that relay in one of the holes. I assume not all four are live. Just the one.

So does the orange wire going to the relay have power or not?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I assume since one of the holes had battery voltage the answer is yes

Well, I would be sure before we continue.. so that we dont make any diagnostic mistakes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does it matter which way the freeway is inserted? Can it be inserted upside down or right-side up?

It should only go in one way

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I understand correctly the orange wire goes to the IGN 3, which is the HVAC blower relay, correct? That relay has 4 prongs. Only one of 4 holes had voltage. I assume not all 4 should have voltage, is that correct?

There should be two orange wires. One big one and one little one.

The big one is the one we were testing from the underhood fuse block. This one should have power at all times.

The little one comes from the switch and should have power with the key on and switch turned on high.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hooray! That is what we have. One is on always and the other is only on when the key is on. So that is working.

EXCELLENT!

So there is a black wire going to the blower relay. Lets check for a good ground on this wire.

If this wire has a good ground, then the relay should activate and send power out to the blower motor on the yellow wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't see the wires behind the fuse box. So I don't know the colors. However there is one whole that shows continuity so I assume that one is the ground. Or the black wire.

Did you do a continuity test to ground on that pin with the relay removed?

Ok, good.. does the relay click when inserted if the key is on and blower switch is turned on high?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe the relay is good.

So does it send power out the 4th wire (yellow wire) to the blower motor when inserted (with the key on and blower switch turned on high)?

I know you cant see the color wires behind the fuse panel, but if the yellow wire at the blower motor is NOT getting battery voltage when inserting the relay (key on and switch turned on high) then there is either a broken or open in the yellow wire to the blower motor or the fuse block is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are 4 holes. Bottom left must be large orange wire because power is always on. The upper-left must be the small orange wire because it is on only when the key is on. The bottom right must be the ground. So the upper right hole must be the yellow wire going to the blower motor. Should I be able to detect voltage in the upper right hole?

YES, but the relay would need to be plugged in and activated for that circuit to get power from the relay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the only way for me to really test it is to disconnect the connector at the blower motor and test the yellow wire there?

That or unbolt, flip around the fuse block and check the wire coming directly out of the relay on the back side for power with the relay plugged in.

Was the relay replaced? If not, that might just be the problem..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the relay was not replaced. I checked the relay by connecting power to it on two prongs and testing for continuity on the other two and it appears to be working.

Now that I think about it, even if this were the case, the yellow wire going to the blower motor should still get battery voltage from the resistor on all other settings. (low, M1, M2).. and your not even getting that from the switch.

Hello!

It'sCustomerand I just wanted to check in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am out if town and not able to work on the car until likely Saturday. When I checked for battery voltage on the blower motor before, I got nothing. Does the yellow wire go from the left instrument panel all the way to the blower motor continuously? In other words all one wire? Or could there be another problem in between? Where is the resistor and could that be bad?

The blower resistor could be bad. However, with the switch on high, it bypasses the blower resistor. So if it still does not work on high, then there is something else preventing it from working.

The resistor should be down near the blower motor as well.

The yellow wire comes from the resistor and relay (they come together) and then go to the blower motor. No, there are no other connections or connectors on that circuit.

Keep in mind, you can always rate my answer now for assisting you with your vehicle and we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you. Simply reply back at anytime after rating my answer and we can pickup right where we left off. I will continue to assist you for as long as needed.

Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you available?

Hello and sorry for the delay!

YES, I am available now. Was off line for a bit.

What can I help with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pulled the blower motor out again and tested the yellow wire and still have no power but I appear to have ground at that connector. Any thoughts?

With the switch on low, Medium 1 and medium 2, it supplies power to the blower motor through the resistor.

With the switch turned on high, it then goes through the relay.

So lets check for power coming directly out of the switch on the orange wire with the switch turned on "High"

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again forgive my ignorance here. To test the wire out if the switch, that would be behind the radio?

Thats correct. You would need to gain access to the wiring going to the back of the switch with it still connected and then check voltage on that wire with it turned on "HIGH" (key on of course)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm struggling to get the connector disconnected from the back of the switch

I would leave the connector plugged in and backprobe the pins or cavities to check for power on them. This way you know the switch is working. Because you cannot check the switch with the connected unplugged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I put a wire inside where the orange wire goes into the connector and I got battery voltage

Ok, so this is with the key on and switch turned on high correct? There is power on the orange wire correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get better voltage no matter where I touch. Surprise exclamation point I now have a light on for the AC. Whereas I did not before. Is there just some loose connections back here possibly?

YES, it is possible!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Surprise! I now have battery voltage at the blower motor connection.

Excellent! Plug it in and see if it works!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Blower works!!!

WHOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a flap (not sure the technical name) next to the blower motor. How does that function?

I would have to see it in order to tell you.

However, it might be a blend air door or a mode door which would move back and forth to allow outside air in and then move to close off the outside air into the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I send you a picture?

There is a paper clip icon on the top of the reply box is what you need to upload pictures from your computer to the web site.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just wasn't sure when it should be open or closed and how it opens and closes.

What it is will depend on how it operates (when it should be open or closed) depending on the position selected. If your not having any HVAC issues, I would not be too worried about it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you help me with what is probably another issue? First, since it appeared you weren't available on Saturday I paid another $33 to see if someone else was available. Right after I paid it you came online. So could we apply that $33 to you helping me with this next issue?

Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

YES, you would have to contact them and request that it be done. Here is their contact information.

***@******.***

Thank you and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer/p>
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician