Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

I have a 2007 red line 92000 miles and it's had the turbo

Customer Question
replaced, turbo air charge cooler...
I have a 2007 red line 92000 miles and it's had the turbo replaced, turbo air charge cooler replaced, intercooler replaced, 2 and 4's injectors replaced as well as 'the cylender' for 2. I can't find the service paper work right now. Also the dealership could not find the problem with my gas gauge. When it hits 1/4 tank the needle will drop to 0 at a stop light/sign. All parts have been tested and there is no problem noted all parts are checking fine.
Ok, now for the problem I'm having now. I filled the gas tank yeasterday (premium only), drive 46 miles and the gauge is reading 3/4 tank. When gas milage is showing 26/30 mpg. It's bad enough that I have no idea when I'm going to run out of gas. Now it shows my fuel consumption has increases exponitaly.
All the above parts were replaced because of a check engine light and missfire on cyl 2.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saturn
9/20/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Pete, Saturn Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, Saturn Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine running rough at all or any smoke from the exhaust?

Did the dealer check or replace the fuel level sensor at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey sorry I'm in school And have night classes...they replaced the fuel level sending unit. And no black smoke. It is odekobg a little ruff again....it almost sounds like I have no oil

Were fault codes checked with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are setting with this fault here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is from the receipt for work preformed:
Cust states sometimes after filling with fuel and once gas gets down to around 1/2 tank and at a stop light or at idle the gas guage will drop to a qutr then drops to empty and cust has ran out oft fuel a few times bc can't tell if veh has gas in it or not.
Check for codes. nono stored. performede gage sweep. working correct. diagnose and recommend fuel level sensor. Replace fuel leval sensor operating to gm specs. sensor ki 3.107 Y $77.31
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no codes now. I took it back again and they preformed a check and again said they found no problems with any of the units in the fuel system.

Is it reading empty now and do you have a scan tool to check engine data signals at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it reading 1/2 tank and I filled it three days ago and drove it 95 miles. I can call onstar and see if they can read any codes. however there is no check engine light

I apologize for the delay as I had an emergency come up.

If there is any way to re check the codes this will help.IN some cases a local parts store may rent out a scan tool to do this.

The only other issue I see here is a fault with the PCM (engine and transmission computer) as this reads the fuel level sensor then sends the signal to the instrument cluster gauge.The PCM and cluster also work for fuel mileage distance.If the PCM has an internal fault or calibration fault with a reprogram needed this can cause this issue here.If they did not check for any programming this needs done and usually done by a dealer (GM dealer).

I have seen the gauge act up as well but usually if it passes the sweep test then its o.k.I am leaning more towards a PCM fault here possibly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Saturn Mechanic