Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

1999 Saturn SL1 1.9 automatic. No crank intermittent.

Battery is good. Starter is...
1999 Saturn SL1 1.9 automatic. No crank intermittent. Battery is good. Starter is good. Evry now and again just will not crank. No click on the solenoid. Usually happens after you drive it a bit and shut down. When a no crank, leave it for a while and it cranks and starts and runs fine.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/30/2016
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

is there a red security light flashing or steady on when you try to crank and it want start , did you notice ?

have you had it scanned with diagnostic scanner & retrieved any fault codes ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Usually there is a security light flashing, but not when there is a no crank.

No codes, current or pending.

i would take my starter out & bench test

i would check my battery cables to the starter

and the ignition switch wires

what scanner was used to retrieve codes a saturn scanner , an auto zone or advance auto code reader want do,it will scan engine module and there want be any fault codes because the anti theft codes are not in that module

when you hook up the scanner ,it need to see the security module

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I've already tested the starter. If I apply battery voltage the starter spins fine. No 12Volts going to the starter solenoid/relay when it won't crank. I used a Snap-on Verus to read the codes. There are no codes. It's almost as though an electronic component is open and works when cooled down, but I cannot prove it.

I m not sure on this one sorry ,,I will open up the question for another expert for you so they can help with it

I will opt out now and another expert will pick up your question

Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Did you still need help? Where are you losing voltage in the starting circuit when this happens?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No voltage at the starter solenoid when no crank.

So where are you losing voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Not quite sure what you are asking. When it does not want to crank, the only thing I know is that there is no voltage at the solenoid pin to suck in the solenoid. There is full battery voltage on the starter side. You let the car sit for anywhere between an hour and more and then it cranks and starts just fine.

So if the starter is not getting voltage, then you must be losing voltage somewhere between the battery and starter.. on the ignition switch side. Have you checked this? Do you know how to check this? Do you have a wiring diagram of this circuit so you can check this?

Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician