Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

My 07 Saturn ion will not crank the engine with switch key.

Customer Question
When I use a remote...
My 07 Saturn ion will not crank the engine with switch key. When I use a remote switch to jump the solenoid, engine cranks and runs a few seconds, then dies. Fuel pressure is constant at 50+ psi. HELP??
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 160k and gm dealer did the ignition switch recall about a year ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm hoping to fix it myself. Have checked all relays and fuses(good), have fuel pressure gauge installed on Shrader valve. Starter is good, solenoid is good, battery is good
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything else
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saturn
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

The security alarm is triggered

Lets try this procedure first ,if that dont work ,we will need a diagnostic scan to retrieve the fault codes from anti theft module

do you have 1 or 2 keys & have you tried the 2nd key

is there a red security light flashing or steady on ,displayed on the dash while you are trying to start

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )

2- Hold cables Together for 20 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 10 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only have one key, no security light flashing, fuel pressure constant at 50 psi, won't crank with ignition key, but will if I jump the solenoid. Runs a few seconds then dies
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Scan tool doesn't show any codes. Do you think I should still do the master reset procedure?

yes please do that lets get this out of the way first

is the starter relay working ?

we are losing power or ground on the starter relay, if the really is good

the power comes from the switch.

so we need to know what are we missing on starter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did the master reset procedure, no change. Jumped starter relay terminals 30 and 87 and starter cranks engine

can you replaced that starter relay with one like it to see if it is bad relay ?

the #30 should have power 12 volts correct ?

what does 86 & 87 has while the starter relay is in and you have switch in start position , what are the values at that moment on those pins might need one more person to help you test that ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did swap relays, no change. Will try to get some help with the other test. Is there an apparatus I can put between the rely and fuse panel to make testing easier?

yes they make a relay tester that you insert in the relay place and then you insert your relay on top of it and it has pins so you can test from there .

also check battery cable from battery to starter ,wiggle , see if it moving or corroded .

check for 12 v on starter and ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got 12v at starter, good ground. Ordered a relay test kit that will be here in the morning

this running for few seconds and die , leads me to believe the alarm is triggered , the pcm is not getting the required signal from theft module to keep running engine and is killing power to fuel pump and starter or a bad ground .

but lets confirm relay circuit, with stuff like this you have to test or you will be guessing some time you can get lucky but most time you dont so best to test it , but that is what i think we headed to.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel pressure is constant at 50+ psi

when you say 50 + like 51 or 57 , because specs are 50 to 60

so are we on the low end , when you give it gas, let another person watch the fuel pressure tester ,is that fuel pressure dropping or staying still ?

2007 Saturn ION L4-2.4L

Save Article

Fuel Pressure (Key ON, Engine OFF).......................345-414 kPa (50-60 psi)

so that leaves injector kill or killing spark on coils by the computer, if you said fuel pressure dont drop when it dies and i m assuming fuel pump is running

when it runs for a sec if you rev it up by the gas pedal does it rev up like is it taking fuel & throttle body opens , if you did that as soon as it cranks up ?

watch the fuel tester what is the fuel pressure at that moment does it hold at 50 or drops

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It acts like it is taking fuel and fuel pressure rises to about 58 psi during rev

okay good

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got a relay tester and in start mode I have 12 volts on pin 30, 0 volts on 85,86, and 87

if you test for ground on 86 87 85 anything while you are trying to start , if you are not getting ground

it will be ecu issue or wiring

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In start mode, 86 has ground, 85 and 87 do not

you are missing ground from the computer on the 87 or 86 ,one of these 2 will be gound and when it activates the othe will be power

that tells me the ecm is bad

there is nothing left

Please let me know if that works for you

Chad

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat