Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

98 saturn sl1 is cranking but not catching. I can't seem to

Customer Question
get any spark. I replaced...
98 saturn sl1 is cranking but not catching. I can't seem to get any spark. I replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, coils and ICM, but still has the same problem.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saturn
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/13/2016
Saturn Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

does it have a crank or cam signal? injector pulse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't tested these, is there an easy way to test?

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is testing the fuel injectors something that is necessary when I already know that I am not getting any spark?

it helps narrow things down... do you have crank and cam signal?

have you solved your issue?

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy