Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Car Starts then dies, No door Locks or fuel gauge, when they

Customer Question
work Fires right up JA: Will...
Car Starts then dies, No door Locks or fuel gauge, when they work Fires right up
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2003 L200
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sent body module off, still same problem, could it be ignition switch
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Checked all I know to check
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saturn
7/17/2016
Saturn Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem does involve the body controller in some way and will take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to know exactly what is going on. The locks are controlled by the BCM and the BCM has to send a bus message to the engine controller that the alarm has been disarmed and it's ok to run the engine.

The problem could be the BCM itself or it could be a loss of power or ground to it. What should be done is use a scan tool at the time the problem is happening to verify whether the BCM communicates, and if communication isn't possible then other modules shoudl also be checked. If the BCM is the only not communicating then it's powers, grounds and bus voltages will need to be checked. If all is found to be ok then the BCM can be condemned. It's very possible that you have a wiring issue but the BCM is the most likely cause for this, companies that claim to test and repair modules have a very poor reputation for reliability.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician