George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Power steering goes in and out and also car makes awful

Customer Question

power steering goes in and out and also car makes awful noise at idling. It only has 85000 miles on it. no one seems to be able to solve the problem. 2009 Saturn vue
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: it turns but very difficult at times
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I will be driving and it will be ok and then all of a sudden it will be so hard to turn it turns but it is like there is no power. also it makes a loud moan like sound when you are idling Chevy dealer cannot seem to find the problem
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Saturn Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Saturn Mechanic should be aware of about your Saturn?
Customer: other then we really like it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me your whole vin. These had power steering pump issues and an updated pump was released there might be special coverage on it I can check with your VIN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3gscl53709s513012 hope that is it. If not I will get it from my husband when he gets home He has the car

I does not have have special coverage on that year, that being said if it is losing steering assist at low speeds it needs a pump, I must do 3-5 a week. I wouldn't take it to a dealer as depending on the model they charge 4-5 hours, I have found if you remove the rear catalytic converter it is easy to get out. let me know if you want any instructions.