Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

PUT IN NEW STARTER AND BATTERY WILL NOT START, RAN JUMPER TO

Customer Question
POS ON STARTER TO BATTERY...
PUT IN NEW STARTER AND BATTERY WILL NOT START, RAN JUMPER TO POS ON STARTER TO BATTERY, IT TURNS LIKE A BAD BATTERY CONNECT, 2006 SATURN VUE 4 CYL
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: CAR STARTED ACTING LIKE THE BATTERY WAS LOW, IT DID THIS BEFORE AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE STARTER. I REPLACED THE STARTER THIS TIME AND AND GET NOTHING, NEW BATTERY STILL NOTHING, JUMPER FROM POSITIVE BATTERY TO STARTER AND IT LUGS LIKE LOW BATTERY
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: NOT MUCH CHOICE
JA: Is there anything else the Saturn Mechanic should be aware of about your Saturn?
Customer: NOT THAT I KNOW OF
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saturn
5/31/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Bill My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Can you tell me the chain of events that occurred when this all happened?

Saturn Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

If the battery tests good with a digital tester and reveals no bad cells etc and all your battery to starter connections are clean and tight including all grounds then have the replacement starter bench tested as you could have gotten a bad starter out of the box. If that is okay check that the engine has no mechanical issues and you can bar it over easily with hand tools and it does not bind. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A few days before it would not start at all it acted like low battery but still turned starter, barely, then it would not turn over at all, new battery bench tested starter all is good, ran jumper to starter from battery and it lugs like before I did all this
Saturn Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

thanks for the update. If the starter and battery test good check all your grounds as a weak ground will cause these symptoms

Saturn Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

A short can also cause this in the ignition circuit. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
JUST STARTED FROM THE BEGINNING, PULLED STARTER AND CLEANED ALL TERMINALS ETC. CHECKED ALL GROUNDS (BATTERY INCLUDED) PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER FOR THE THIRD TIME AND IT STARTED LIKE NOTHING WAS EVER WRONG. NOT SURE WHAT I MAY HAVE MISSED BUT IT MAY HAVE BEEN A LOOSE OR DIRTY TERMINAL, THANKS FOR THE INPUT
Saturn Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the update and glad you got this resolved. Pleasure to help. Please take a moment to rate my service.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson