Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

I was told by the service department of a Chevrolet dealer

Customer Question
that a 2003 Saturn Vue...
I was told by the service department of a Chevrolet dealer that a 2003 Saturn Vue 6 cylinder can be flat towed. Based on this information I bought one. Now someone tells me no it can't br towed. Someone else says it can if you stop and run the engine and transmission every 200 miles. Who is right? Fred
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Someone else said you could tow it if the shifting was proper? and you pulled the fuse?
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Before I was told about the problem I flat towed the car 300 miles then used it and towed it 300 miles back. Then I was told it couldn't be done so I am trying to get answers.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: I just replaced the ECM module. The dealer said he didn't think the towing would have caused the problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saturn
5/11/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Ron Z., - Saturn Tech - replied 1 year ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
This vehicle cannot be flat-towed. It will need to be "dinghy" towed, meaning the Front Wheels will need to be off the ground. If it has a 5-speed transmission, the lubrication procedure will need to be done every seven hours after the initial procedure has been completed, regardless of if the vehicle is being towed or parked. Once the procedure is performed, the transaxle is adequately lubricated and can be recreational towed for seven actual hours prior to repeating the lubrication procedure. Failure to observe these time limits may result in transaxle damage. As an example, if you initially perform the lubrication procedure and tow your vehicle for three hours, then park for four hours, the lubrication procedure will need to be performed again, prior to dinghy towing the vehicle. Failure to observe these time limits may result in transaxle damage. If the vehicle has a 4-speed transmission, there is no need to do the lubrication procedure, and it can be towed unlimited miles- with the front wheels off the ground.If this vehicle has AllWheel Drive, it cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground.Before performing dinghy towing procedures, remove the large IGN fuse from the underhood fuse block. Failure to remove this fuse may result in low battery voltage after towing.If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
..
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -