Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Saturn Vue, 3.0L. I had 4 codes not clear when…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Saturn Vue, 3.0L. I had 4 codes not clear when I took into to get it smog. After driving in various conditions, the OBDII monitor indicates that everything is ready (all 4 codes clear), but when it's hooked up to the computer at the smog check place, initially it says clear, then goes back to "inc". I have not Service Engine Soon light on, nor any trouble codes. It passes the tailpipe emissions. The car had been rarely driven the preceding year. Why do the codes clear and then come back? I had several varying drive cycles. Now, I only have EVAC on showing not ready.

Mechanic's Assistant: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?

Never been changed. 2002, so 14 years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?

Very well. No problems.

Mechanic's Assistant: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Saturn Mechanic before I connect you two?

No, main problem is not being able to keep the IM readiness codes to stay clear.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
4/12/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI, I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question Ok, have you done the GM drive cycle EXACTLY as stated in the order stated, 2 days in a row? Also, and this is critical for the EVAP monitor, the fuel tank must be between 1/4 and 3/4 tank during the drive cycle, otherwise the EVAP monitor will not set to ready
Yes, I have. All codes again have cleared. My thought is that maybe I need a new battery, replace computer, or some sensors. Additionally, there may be underlying conditions which, though the codes have shown as cleared, there is something that is not showing up in the simple OBDII Bluetooth application. For some reason, when it's hooked up to the smog tester, it somehow resets the four codes again.
HI,A weak battery can cause this, as well as a marginal catalytic converter, but that usually will set a P0420 code. What is the battery voltage at idle when engine is first started
I don't know. I was trying to find that on the app.
I do have another gadget which provides voltage. I'll check it out.
HI,Ok, let me know what it is when you get the reading
Just checked the battery. 12.55 with the car off. 14.5 when charging.
HI,Ok, battery and charging system are good. Outside of a marginal converter, I am not sure what else is preventing the monitors from setting to ready. I will opt out and see if another expert may know
I went to the dealer and they said it was a broken thermostat. They're replacing it and doing the drive cycle.
2 codes still not clearing.
Saturn Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
2 codes or 2 readiness monitors?
I believe it's 2 readiness monitors, though I don't know which ones. The car is still at the dealer. They replaced the thermostat and did a drive cycle. Cleared two of the four (I believe the original four were oxygen sensor, oxygen heater sensor, catalyst, and EVAP).
likely readiness monitors...they can be stubborn can you find out which ones? sometimes ou need to do multiple drive cycles step by step
I won't know until tomorrow. The technician has been doing the drive cycle.
let me know