Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I turned the AC on first time this year in my Saturn LW300…

Customer Question
I turned the AC...

I turned the AC on for the first time this year in my Saturn LW300 2003 and it blows, but not cold air, and it is very noisy. I know that there's coolant because that was filled in December and hasn't been used since, and they assured me that there were no leaks. I was checking the underhood fuse box to make sure that the coolant fan/blower fuse was alright. What else should I look for?

Mechanic's Assistant: Leaks can get messy. The Saturn Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Doesn't have a leak.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?

At random times the "Service Engine Soon" light appears, but no diagnostic code can be read. I get a right shift from first to second, but if I reset/erase then I'm good for several hundred miles.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
3/9/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago
Ryan Schott

alright firstly lets approach that noise concern. Is the noise happening only when the compressor clutch engages?

I think so. No significant noise of only the heat is on.
Saturn Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago

If you can watch the front of the compressor while someone cycles the ac on and off to identify if it is when the clutch ( the front of the ac pulley ) engages then we know you will need a compressor replaced. Double check that and let me know. If it does go that way you will probably want to also replace the receiver dryer and txv/orifice tube.

Saturn Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago

What did you find?

I haven't had a chance to enlist a friend to help yet. It's midterm exam week and I'm crazy busy grading papers and writing exams. By the time I get home it's far too late to do this in my driveway, in the dark.
Saturn Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago

No worries. Don't work too hard just let me know when you can.

Will do, thanks.
Yeah, won't be using this service again. I was hoping for some ideas/insight to go to my mechanic with and I got an attempt at self-diagnostic/repair less helpful than my Haynes manual. Seven more days for a special price? Nope, not happy about the money I already wasted.