Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Its me again with the 2001 Saturn L 300 3.0... I have a

Customer Question
Hi, its me again with...
Hi, its me again with the 2001 Saturn L 300 3.0... I have a question for you. I was told by the Saturn dealer here in town that either the ecm works or it doesn't. that it would not br working on just one side and firing only one side of the coils. True or false?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
3/4/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello again and thank you for your question,

There answer is false. There are drivers in the ECM that control the coils and you can loose one side and still have the other and the engine will still run. If the wiring from the coils to the ECM checks out okay and the coils are okay then it could very well still be a bad ECM. Where you able to swap the ECM out with a known good unit?

no not yet cant find one. still looking.
I will let you know. Thanks

If you can find one thats the next step I would take. With all the testing you have done its sure pointing that way.

I ordered a ECM off a running vehicle that was just brought in to the wrecking yard in Phoenix. It will be delivered to me on Tuesday and I will let you know what happens. Thanks

Hopefully that will solve this . Let me know.

Hi Ronnie, OK well it did not solve the problem. But after putting on the new ecm and doing the reprogram process i did get a new code that pointed to the cam sensor. I replaced it and it ran a little better but i still have the PO 300 code. when the engine is running under 1500 rpm the check engine light goes off although it is still running rough and when it runs over 1500 rpm the light comes back on. when revving it up and holding the rpm's at 2000 or higher the engine sounds great when i let off the pedal it dies or struggles to idle. the idle will dip down to 400 and jumps up slowly to 700 or so. but wants to die. Hard starting now. Any ideas? thanks
I just went out and started it up again and this time I got a p1779 and a p1791 cleared them out and then i got a po306 cleared that and its back to a PO300. Crazy! Man I am really stumped on this one.

With everything you have already tried I have to wonder if your dealing with some sort of wiring concern. Something sure dose no make any since here for sure.