rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have 1997 Saturn SL1 manual car. It will not start. All

Customer Question

I have 1997 Saturn SL1 manual car. It will not start. All the lights come on. You turn the key, you hear a click, but nothing after that. You do hear a hum for a couple of seconds (think I read it is the fuel pump pressurizing). but then nothing. Also the remote entry does not appear to work. After reading other articles, I thought it was the starter relay switch, but I replaced that and no difference. Does the system need to be reset (disconnecting battery for 30 min) after the relay is installed? or what could the issue be? Loose wire to starter motor is what I am thinking. The battery is less than a year old and I put a battery charger on it for 24 hours thinking it was the alternator at first.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Before with get to deep into this, you need to check the battery cables, starter and solenoid. These are the most common failures.

Thanks, Ron