Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I put new rear brake pads on my 1996 Saturn sl and it won't…

Customer Question
I put new rear brake...
I put new rear brake pads on my 1996 Saturn sl and it won't set the brakes
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
The old inside pad broke off while I was driving and my caliper piston was damaged. I replaced the piston and brake pads but the piston won't move and there is a lot of space between the caliper and the brake pads
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/22/2016
Saturn Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Did you bleed the air out of the caliper that the piston was replaced in?

I took off the cap earlier. Should I do it again now the it is all in place? Or was it a mistake

Have someone pump the brake and then while they are holding the pedal down, loosen the bleeder until air/fluid comes out. Then have them raise the pedal up. Repeat this to get all the air out.

Do I need to start the car?

no. and make sure enough fluid stays in the master cylinder.

What do you mean loosen the bleeder?

There is a bleeder on the top of the caliper. It is like an 8mm or 10mm nut on it so you can loosen it to bleed the air out of the caliper. If the rubber cap is on it that is it.

Is it safe to put on blaster on the nut?

do you mean the penetrating oil?

Pb blaster, sorry about the autocorrect

Thats fine to use. Be careful not to break it off in the caliper. Once you get the air out you will be good to go.

It is extremely hard to access with any tool. After using pb it still broke my socket

It should not be that difficult. In the attached picture the bleeder is located right under the spring. The bleeders do like to rust in. Sometimes applying a little heat then cooling it with water then doing that a few times will help loosen it. Usually it is easier to just replace the entire caliper instead of rebuilding it.

Did you get a chance to bleed your brakes? Please let me know how your making out and also rate my service. Thank you.