Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Im working on a 2000 saturn ls2 but it has had another

Customer Question
engine installed.it now has a...
im working on a 2000 saturn ls2 but it has had another engine installed.it now has a 3.0 liter. i was changing the coil pack on the 1,3,and 5 side and when i put the new one on i now have no fire to the plugs. i put the old one back on and now have no fire to that one either. checked all fuses, all are good, but im not getting any power to the engine control fuses 1,2 or three.but do have power to the ecm. also hooked up a scan tool to try and diagnose the problem but it will not connect to the ecm. need help bad,really stumped on this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
2/21/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

Let's see if we can get that Saturn running on all six cylinders again.

First I need to know what we're dealing with here, so I need answers from you to a few questions:

Was the correct harness and ECM installed along with the 3.0 L engine?

Why were you replacing the coil pack?

What were you trying to fix?

i assume the right harness andecm was used . i didnt install the 3.0. was replacing the coil pack because the customer wanted me to do a tune up and wanted new coil packs and spark plugs
the car was running before i installed the new coil pack

Got it. Thanks.

Looking at the diagram, there is only the one ignition fuse that powers both coil packs, so I don't think the problem is there. Now, looking at how the coil packs are grounded, I do see that each has its own ground circuit (Black wire), so I think we should look at that ground connection. What do you say?

Please let me know if that solves the issue.

Best Regards.

have checked the common ground for both coil packs and it is grounded to the engine block

OK. Please give me a little time to mull this over. Be back in a bit...

I'm back. Pull the main relay and see if there's power at its terminals marked BATT (see graphic). Let me know what you find

i have power on one side with the relay pulled out

If the hazards and the horn work the problem with the main relay not having power to one of its terminals marked Batt is inside the fuse box it self. If the hazards and horn don't work either, then check the 30 amp maxi fuse marked IGN 0/3/CR. Let me know what you find.

horn and hazards both work also ign0/3/cr has power to both sides

OK. In that case there is an internal problem with the fuse box. I just can't see how the main relay socket would loose power if all you did was change the plugs and the coils. Are you sure the engine wasn't loosing power intermittently before?

For now, you can just put a jumper between the two BATT terminals, then plug in the main relay and see what happens.

put a jumper between the two relay terminals and pluged the relay back in and still no fire. forgot to mention that i used a test light and i have power at the plug that plugs into the coil pack but only have power on the second pin from the left .should i have power at more pins

Yep. First one should be ground (Black wire), second one should be power (Pink), the other three are used by the ECM.

Have you plugged in the scan tool after jumpering the main relay? Are you getting anything?

I mean, things like this don't happen just like that. There's got to be something someone is not telling. Can you ask the customer?

scan tool still wont connect but tried the battery check on the scan tool and it read that the battery is fully charged,so i assume that the port is working. but the car was running yesterday. i puuled out the old coil pack put in the new and no fire,so hooked the old one back up and it fired and the car even cranked so shut it off,hooked the new one back up and it hasnt fired since even the old one doesnt work, nor the old coil pack in the front that i havent even touched yet,but i have power on the pink wire at the coil pack plug on both coil pack plugs.

Ahhh... you know what? Could it be that somehow the anti-theft system got activated? Do you have a scan tool capable of communicating with the body control module? I mean, other than that I'm as stumped as you are.

where is that located

Where is what located?

body control module

Mounted to the top of the glove box. Why are you concerned with its location? All I asked you was if you had a scan tool that could communicate with it because it controls the anti-theft module.

Man, I'm sorry, but this is getting much more complicated that I can handle. I'll opt out and let other experts try to help you. Please don't reply or the site will revert your request back to me.

Good luck to you.

Saturn Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The prior tech has opted out, would you like me to help?

If so what question do you have now that you would like me to help with.

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician