Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I took my Saturn vue to the shop and they say I need a new…

Customer Question
I took my Saturn...

I took my Saturn vue to the shop and they say I need a new transmission. the car makes a grinding noise when going down the road and slips sometimes if u press on the gas to quick

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The grinding noise usually quits and when starting out the atm is at 3 for longer than should be but after u drive and it gets warm it will quit and the grinding if far b etween

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
2/19/2016
Saturn Mechanic: Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

What is the year and engine/trans of it please?

2003 2.2
would it be possible that it just needs to have fluid added

I see, thanks. Checking the fluid level and condition is preliminary but just to be clear, does it make the grinding noise when in 3rd gear only? Also, are there any clunking sounds when it shifts?

no mostly when it starts out in 1 and 2 no clunking

I see, thanks.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

There was a service bulletin for "An engine flare during a 2-3 shift. This condition may be intermittent and may be most noticeable on shifts that occur during light to moderate acceleration."

.

That can sometimes cause a growling noise as the 3rd gear clutch doesn't engage correctly. Before replacing the entire trans, it would be to your best interest to make sure the bulletin has been addressed first.

.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the bulletin in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Did you get that?

Do you still need help with it?