Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How to make the coolant fan and the temp gauge work? changed…

Customer Question
how to make the coolant...
how to make the coolant fan and the temp gauge work? changed motor in 96 Saturn s, sohc car put in a 95 sohc motor. 95 head has 2 sensors in head,96 had 1 sensor in head.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
1/28/2016
Saturn Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Does it start and run?

You can choose either of the sensors and connect it to the yellow and black wires of the vehicle harness then just not use the other sensor.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

runs very good. the one plug is connected to the sensor closer to fire wall .but fan does not come on. when connected to other sensor closer to radiator motor ran like crap. problem is fan not coming on to cool radiator.

Hello again,

If you short the sensor connector together with a paperclip does the fan come on?

Do you know if the coolant is full?

Do you have a check engine light on? If you do what is the code?

will have to try paper clip tomorrow, radiator was full . have check engine light on, do not know code have to check that tomorrow also

The check gauge should be for the temp gauge but if you have a wrench or service engine soon that needs to be diagnosed.

Let me know what you find tomorrow, I plan on being here

Thanks

the temp gauge works just fine. fan does not.

You said the temp gauge does not work in your question?

I am confused

need both to work. bad wording. temp does work, fan does not come on.95 has 2 sensors in head. 96 had only one sensor in head, wiring in car for one sensor. does 95 head use one sensor for temp gauge and one sensor for fan?

Ok, so as long as you connect the yellow and black wire to one of the sensors the computer will know what the temp is, from there it is a matter of the computer grounding a relay to turn the fan on.

The temp gauge is fed from the computer so we assume the sensor and the computer are working. You need the relay and the fan motor to work.

Try the paperclip or turn the AC on if it works and see if the fan is running, if it does not try powering the fan directly. They do fail.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks