Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****
, 2001 saturn L200 during really…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

2001 saturn L200 during really cold spells after driving 15-20 minutes will stall at a stop or slow turn, even stalls when i put in nuetral. starts right back up

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Saturn Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
if you let it warm up in really cold weather it won't stall, if you drive for 5 minutes in really cold weather it won't stall. only after driving it at high speeds for 10-15 minutes and then slowing down to stop or turn
1/18/2016
Saturn Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. There are a few common cause of this. The most common is a dirty throttle body. If the throttle is dirty then it will have trouble holding an idle until the engine warms up. It can also be the coolant temperature sensor. If it is reading a colder or warmer than normal temperature in these cold conditions then it will run like this. I would have the throttle body cleaned first as that is the easiest place to start. Please let me know if you need more help.

the engine is warm. i have warmed it up for 15 minutes and it never stalls. i warm it up and drive it 5-10 minutes and it never stalls.
i warm it up and drive it down the highway between 55-70 mph for 15-20 minutes, get off the highway come to the first stop or turn and it stalls. i put in nuetral and it starts up right away. i then drive down the road to another stop sign and it stalls again. i slow down and put it in nuetral and it stalls. the RPMS bottom out and then when i start it again, it takes a while to shift out of 1st gear. it goes to about 3000 rpm before is shifts to 2nd gear

You really need to start with cleaning the throttle body. When it is dirty it will cause the engine to starve for air. This will continue until the engine computer decides to adjust the idle control valve to change the idle.

why does it do that only when it is extremely cold. never happens in warm weather?

Most of the time it is due to the expansion and contraction of these metal parts. It affects things like the throttle body since the bore is aluminum and the plate inside of it is not so they expand at different rates.

FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician