Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

2008 Saturn Vue 3.5L. I want to remove power steering pump.

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saturn
12/11/2015
Saturn Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, you will need to remove the belt by turning the belt tensioner clockwise to release tension on it and slip the belt off the pulley. Then you will need to remove the power steering pump pulley, which takes a special tool to press it off, which you can rent the tool from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Then you can disconnect the hoses from the pump and unbolt and remove the pump. I have attached directions with diagrams for you

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure that is correct.
I have the bolts out of the pump, but it appears the motor mount is in the way. I am 1/16th away from having it out but it wont clear the mount. I am not sure the pulley will even come off without removing the mount completely.

HI,

Can I get the 17 digit vin number so that I can look up the directions by that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3GSDL43N78S587247
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Heck, I don't even need to get this mount completely off, just a little loose, and the pump would probably come right out. But that one bolt has ZERO access. I have supported the motor with a jack, and I have tried to lift the motor to access the bolt, but something seems to be not allowing it to move. Is there another bracket somewhere that is holding the motor from going up and down?

HI,

Ok, you will need to either use a floorjack and raise the engine up about 2" to get clearance for that lower bolt, or, loosen the other mounts and lower the engine until you can access the bolt thru the right wheel well opening with the wheel liner removed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess you did not see my other response.
I have supported the motor with a jack, and I have tried to lift the motor to access the bolt, but something seems to be not allowing it to move. Is there another bracket somewhere that is holding the motor from going up and down?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will see if I can lower it, but should I loosen the tranny bracket before hand?

Yes, go ahead and unbolt that first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think there are 2 of those mounts. Front near rad and rear near firewall. I took out the firewall one, but something is still holding back. so must be the front mount near rad?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the procedure to do a power steering pump on this Vue? WTF.

HI,

Labor time is right at 2.2 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What a joke this is, geez. I need to get all the hoses off now. How the heck you suppose to feed them through this web of stuff. Ridiculous.

Are you trying to remove the hoses from the vehicle in addition to the pump or just disconnecting the hoses from the pump

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changing it all. The hoses are disconnected, but they will not snake through everything to get out. I could just cut them, but then how hard will it be to get the new ones in. I am surprised that they did not just run the lines to the back instead of snaking them to the front. It is just a big loop with some cooling fins which could have easily have just been mounted and snaked towards the back of the vehicle where there is tons of room.

HI,

Ok, I dont have directions for them and it has been a few years since I have replaced them, but if memory serves, you need to lower the engine cradle. But not being positive on this, I am going to open this up to other experts to see if they know definitely how to remove them

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have torque specs for motor mounts, power steering pump, etc etc on the 08 Saturn vue 3.5L

HI,

here are the engine(includes mounts) and complete power steering system torque specs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure which is which here.
There is a bracket that bolts to the block, 3bolts. (2 of the same size, one different)
There are 3 bolts that attach to this block bracket.
There are 2 nuts that lock down the bracket to the body.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager