Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

I have a 06 Saturn ion 2 before I changed the brakes all

Customer Question
Hi I have a 06...
Hi I have a 06 Saturn ion 2 before I changed the brakes all around we had a clicking noise coming from the right rear wheel, changed pad's and drum's still make's noise but a week later it has gotten louder, have done many brake jobs over 35/years as an auto tech and lead mechanic. When I first took it apart I couldn't see any markings or sign's of rubbing metal, I have never dealt with this one main spring system any ideas hate to pay a shop to fix it when I have done so many and poured 40k into tool's and equipment I'm sure you know what I mean.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2015
Saturn Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

does the clicking happen if you spin the wheel or only under driving?

Just under 15 MPH braking or less, only braking

are they adjusted good? is the hub tight? does the wheel cylinder float?

Sorry for the delay, got back to it today and the one thing I didn't don't remember checking was the wheel cylinder piston being free, only remember checking for leaks so got back on it today and check the cylinder and it moved freely. The hum move's good, feel's tight no slop even put wheel on and checked that way, was already adjusted correct and e- brake is adjusted correct.???
The hub move's freely, damn autocorrect
When the car is first driven 1/2-1 Mile it doesn't make the noise only after a little heat

did you change the spring?

The big spring? If you are sure that is what the problem is I will change it, but I don't want to start changing part's until the noise goes away that get's expensive, it says that you are a Saturn expert have you come across this before?

not as you describe but the spring loses tension. I did work for Saturn but as we all know they are no longer..The proper function of both the drum brake hardware and adjusting hardware is essential to the proper distribution of braking force. Hardware should be changed every time shoes are changed... Will it cure it I do not know I am not there with the car..

OK all new still does the same thing.

and the drums are brand new?

are the backing plates damaged at all?

No I don't think so, the shoes sit nice and square on the pad's and there wasn't any unusual wear on the old shoes, the reason I changed the brakes was because of this noise thought for sure there was a problem but it all looked really good.

If you pull the handbrake, how high does it rise until it engages? This clicking noise you hear could be a few different things. Most common is shoes out of adjustment. When you hit the brakes, the drum will pull a shoe, and push the other. When they are far out of adjustment, it can cause the shoes to "clap" and this maybe the noise you hear. Also, did u verify correct shoes were installed per side? One shoe is primary, other is secondary. The shoe with a longer brake surface area, always goes to the back of the vehicle. This is the primary shoe. Im sure you know what your doing, and already knew this, but I need to mention just in case. Anyways, check the shoe adjustment before we go nuts here. You want a little bit of drag, but not much. You replaced drums, so you should beable to slide the drum over the shoes (with a little resistance) and then spin the drum. The drum should spin freely, but have an ever little bit of drag. Does this make sense?

I know alllll of this don't mean to sound like a know it all, because nobody does, the reason I tried this pay type forum is because I know all of this and I'm stumped

ILL opt out maybe someone will know.. Not being with the car I can not see feel or hear..

Saturn Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic

HI there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

Reading through your issue makes me think your issue is the wheel bearing itself. I know the hub is moving freely but with your comments on what you have changed, that’s all that is left. Now rather than simply tossing money at it, I Would suggest you swap the left rear for the right rear. This way you can test and verify as the hubs are the same for left rear and right rear. Is this something you can do and get back to me with results?

Checking the GM system, I see no bulletins on this and this style of noise is not common. I have only heard one issue like this and it was a small rock caught in the edge of the drum which hit the backing plate.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** hoping that someone that worked for Saturn or GM would have come across this before and go ah ha but I understand the not here part I really do, your friends or relatives call you on the phone and want you to tell them what is wrong or how to do certain things and it is really hard or frustrating, so I really do understand and appreciate your help

You are most welcome. Let me know how the swap goes.

Have swapped bearing in back and no difference put New bearings both sides still noise, the noise is only there when braking at 20 miles per hour or so and under.

That is truly baffling. The spring then has to be hitting somewhere. Can you post some very detailed pictures of the entire brake system from different angles for me to see?

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic