Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

The heater isn't working in our 2009 saturn vue with auto

Customer Question
ac/heat control...
The heater isn't working in our 2009 saturn vue with auto ac/heat control
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
11/12/2015
Saturn Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. Can you feel the heater core hoses and see if they both feel hot? They are 2 rubber hoses, about an inch in diameter and a few inches apart from each other and go into the firewall. See if they are hot, warm, cool. Let me know what you determine.

The hoses are warm, but not hot now, but I have been away from the car for a bit.There is a fast clicking noise coming from under the hood in front of the drivers side.
The blower blows good, there are no leaks that can be seen. The coolant level is good and tests to 40 degree below zero freeze protection.
It did this once before, but miraculously, it solved itself somehow and startEd blowing hot air again.

I am wondering if the coolant is flowing through the heater core or if the heater core is plugged. If the hoses are hot when the engine is at operating temperature, then the coolant is flowing, but if not then it's probably plugged up and needs to be flushed.

The fast clicking is probably the relay. I don't have access to my software at the moment, but See which one it is, and swap it with another one and see if the heat works.

What about the rapid clicking noise? It has stopped now. I am not worried about a flush and fill, bUtan electrical gremlin that will take hours of labor to track and pin down.

I think the rapid clicking is a relay. I would try swapping it with a different one to see if it continues to rule out a bad relay

Did you notice which relay was clicking? or if it was even a relay?

just to be clear, flush and fill the entire cooling system, correct? Failing that a relay...where would I find the relay to switch it out?
I did not look for it, I just heard it start click I ng

If it's a relay that's clicking rapidly, I would first swap it with another relay in the relay box.

If the heater core hoses are not hot when the engine is at operating temperature, then you would have to back flush the heater core with a garden hose to clean it out.

Where is the relay box so I can swap one out?

to back flush the heater core, I would suggest you clamp off the one inch hoses to it, disconnect the heater core and run a harden hose through it.

Under the hood, you should find the relay and fuse box on the driver side. I don't have access at the moment to my software, so I can't get you a diagram, but it's where all the fuses under the hood are located.

Also, if the heater hoses get hot, then, what am I looking at?

If they are hot then we will need to see if your getting power at the blend door actuator

I will talk later to you about this, ok?.Thank you.

Sounds good. I'll be around

It started blowing got again this morning. I don't understand it.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I think you have a bad connection or an intermittently failing blend door actuator. Will be hard to figure out though if it's working correctly at the moment.

I have attached an image of the blend door actuator. item 6. It is accessible by removing the glove box. Next time this happens, check to see if the actuator is getting power and operating.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bbb9u3zfqu98ux/a.jpg?dl=0

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician