Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 2005 Saturn VUE,is showing code BOO26.Driver Frontal

Customer Question

My 2005 Saturn VUE,is showing code BOO26.Driver Frontal Loop[Stage I] open.Where is this sensor is at?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

This is not a sensor. Frontal loop refers to the driver side steering wheel airbag, the SIR Coil behind it and the wiring harness going to them, as well as the SDM which is the airbag system control module . This is why it is a "loop" - a specific circuit

DTC B0026

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The driver frontal deployment loop consists of the dual stage inflatable restraint steering wheel module, the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil, and the steering wheel module high and low circuits for both stages 1 and 2. Two shorting bars used within the steering wheel module coil connector short together both the steering wheel module stage 1 high and low circuits, and the steering wheel module stage 2 high and low circuits when the connector is disconnected. This helps to prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. During a frontal crash of sufficient force the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) allows current to flow through the deployment loop in order to deploy the steering wheel module. When the ignition is turned ON, the SDM performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be stored in memory.

DTC DESCRIPTORS
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:
- DTC B0022 Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop (Single Stage or Stage 1) Resistance Low
- DTC B0024 Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop (Single Stage or Stage 1) Voltage Out of Range
- DTC B0026 Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop (Single Stage or Stage 1) Open
- DTC B0042 Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop (Stage 2) Resistance Low
- DTC B0043 Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop (Stage 2) Voltage Out of Range
- DTC B0044 Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop (Stage 2) Open

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The Ignition 1 voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
- DTC B0022 in stage 1 or B0042 in stage 2 will set when the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is less than 1.3 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
- DTC B0024 in stage 1 or B0043 in stage 2 will set when one of the following conditions occur:
- Steering wheel module high and/or low circuits is short to ground or short to voltage for 500 milliseconds.
- Steering wheel module high circuit is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is less than 6 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
- DTC B0026 in stage 1 or B0044 in stage 2 will set when one of the following conditions occurs:
- Steering wheel module high circuit is less than 2.4 volts and the steering wheel module deployment loop is more than 6 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
- Steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is more than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via class 2 serial data.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC
- The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists and the scan tool Clear DTCs function is used.
- A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction free ignition cycles have occurred.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The following are possible causes of the malfunction:
- A short between the steering wheel module stage 1 or stage 2, high and low circuits.
- An open or a high resistance in the steering wheel module stage 1 or stage 2, high or low circuits.
- A short to ground or a short to voltage in the steering wheel module stage 1 or stage 2, high or low circuits.
- The steering wheel module coil connector
- The SDM connector
- A malfunctioning steering wheel module
- A malfunctioning steering wheel module coil
- A malfunctioning SDM

Thoroughly inspect the wiring and the connectors

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks