Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

I have a 2005 Saturn and the dial on my radio can't be

Customer Question
turned on or off....
I have a 2005 Saturn and the dial on my radio can't be turned on or off. It drained my old battery, but recently I bought a new battery. My problem is to make sure the radio is off and don't know how to do that in the meantime. I took it to a dealer and he wanted to charge me $400.00, which I cannot afford right now. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
11/4/2015
Saturn Mechanic: Pete, Saturn Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Saturn Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

Is the radio not turning off when the vehicle is switched off?

Can you tell me what model Saturn this is?

Are any other electronics acting up as well like lights staying on,etc.?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

No everything works ie, wipers, lights. Model is Ion.

Is the radio not turning off when the key is turned off and you exit the vehicle?

No
No the dial doesn't work when car is off or on

Is this the dial you would normally use to turn on and off the radio that isn't working and does it work to turn up and down the volume at all?

it is the dial normally used to turn on and off on the radio. Yes it is for the volume also.

I apologize for the delay as I had to run out in a hurry yesterday and couldn't get back to you.

O.k.,with what you have described here this is an internal electrical fault in the radio itself.I have seen the radio's fail before causing this type of fault here with the radio needing either removed and repaired to correct this fault here or removed and replaced.The radio receives a constant power signal from fused battery power at all times key on or off to keep the memory alive in the radio.Then the radio receives an ignition on power signal from the BCM (body control module) that allows the radio to turn on with the key on and turn off with the key off.

If the knob is not working at all to turn it off and this is occuring with the key on or off this indicates the circuit board inside the radio it shorted and is keeping the radio on like this which is causing the drain on the battery.You will have to either remove the radio and have an electronics repair facility repair it or remove and replace it to correct this fault here.

If you want to just disable the radio so the fault doesn't occur with draining the battery locate the Radio ACC 10 amp fuse and the Radio Batt 1 10 amp fuse in the BCM itself and remove these fuses.This will disable the radio.The BCM is located under the center part of the dash as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/w56rdeoj7ommqox/bcm-11-05.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Pete, Saturn Mechanic