Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Saturn Vue 2003 - Car over heated. Reservoir overflowed.

Customer Question
Saturn Vue 2003 - Car...
Saturn Vue 2003 - Car over heated. Reservoir overflowed. Greenish muck. Refilled with water to get it home - a few miles. Heated up on the way. Mechanic (whom does not work on Saturns) said the following:
1. There was oil in the water.
2. There may be a crack in the oil cooler.
3. The thermostat may be the problem.
4. Transmission fluid may be involved but not did say how that was possible.
5. GM brand coolant may be the problem.
Some facts:
1. The vehicle was scheduled for a replacement of the intake manifold gasket before the overheating.
2. No issues with overheating prior.
3. The car did make an engine noise before it overheated but I was not driving it at the time so I cannot describe the sound.
4. The car was only driven a few miles before the overheating took place.
5. The car drove fine. No issues, no noise, to and from the repair shops (2 miles apart) but the temp was rising over the half way point.
Do you know what the problem is? Any troubleshooting ideas so we make a better determination of what is going here?
Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
10/11/2015
Saturn Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

sounds like a blown head gasket o a warped or cracked cylinder head, teardown of the motor would be required to find out the extent of damage

John,Tear down the motor? The signs don't really support your assumption. Coolant is not externally leaking from the head gasket, there is no smoke or any color coming from the exhaust, the engine runs fine, the oil looks fine, and there are no air bubbles in the radiator or overflow tank. How much experience do you have with Saturn and the this particular model?Thanks.

the coolant is leaking internal..the cylinder heads need to be pulled 100 percent supports my answer

a block leak test would help support this

It is quite a bad occurrence when the two mix and usually means that the gasket has failed to function as required, creating an internal leakage which could easily damage the engine. Some of the reasons why engine oil mixes with the coolant are: A broken/damaged head gasket.

you still there?

Not real happy with your answers, John.

did the shop do any diagnosis? Did they do a leak down test? why does the shop say it overheated? is the fan working? did he confirm the thermostat is working and the water is circulating?

No tests run yet.

basic testing will find the root cause or pinpoint the concern... If oil is mixed with coolant it supports my theory. A block leak test and or a leak down test will help uncover if its a head gasket issue... The fans should be checked for operation and the t stat should be checked to see if it opens... It over heats for a reason like bad tstat, fans inop, failed water pump or head or head gasket issue

Shop says they can't do a block leak test to determine if we have head gasket issue because it's an "open system" What is that supposed to mean? He wants to approach the manifold gasket replacement, something I already knew about and stated in my question here, and then check the thermostat and oil cooler since they will be accessible at that point. With regard to the head gasket leaking, he used the words "It's a gamble" if it turns out to be a head gasket. You know this Saturn, why would you recommend a block leak or leak down test if it is not possible? If it is possible, what is getting in the way of testing for a head gasket leak? There is no point in paying for the manifold work and possibly replacement of the thermostat and/or oil cooler to find we have a head gasket issue.

the oil cooler wont cause a over heat, and a block leak test will work because it basically is a liquid test that detects exhaust gas in the antifreeze... But he could pull the plugs and look for coolant wash... It over heated for a reason...It did not overheat due to the oil cooler... I would find a different shop..sounds like you have a parts changer not a tech

my money is on a head or head gasket issue,,, but basic testing will lead us in the right direction..

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

John,Not the head gasket or warped or cracked cylinder head. It was the oil cooler and corroded cooling water pump outlet pipe. The thermostat was changed while the mechanic was in there and system flushed of all Dex-cool sludge.Jeff
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy