Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Sounds like you know your stuff, hopefully you can help me

Customer Question
figure this one out: I'll try...
Sounds like you know your stuff, hopefully you can help me figure this one out:
I'll try to make it brief.
06 Vue I4, AT, FWD
Loud clicking in sync with wheel revolution, mostly during low speed right hand turns, sometimes but rarely during really tight left turns. Sounds almost exactly like the noise a roller-coaster makes in a curve- a lot like cv joint. Sounds like it's coming from the center, either of the inner joints, or the trans itself, but not certain. Changed driver side axle, no change, swapped to other side (because the noise has always sounded like it's from a single source. No echo) still no change.
Possibly relevant info:
-Accidentally and abruptly shifted from D to R, then on to P while rolling about 5 or less mph. I did this the day I bought the car, and hadn't noticed the noise before doing so, but my failure to notice something right away surely isn't any evidence against its existence.
-Have had seldom trans slippage during a hard takeoff immediately after start up, which I had attributed to not having given the trans adequate time to build sufficient pressure to meet the abrupt demand being applied. And/or low/dirty atf. Haven't had a chance to check it since Saturn did not deign to include a damned dipstick.
Upon reading your post with another unfortunate saturn owner regarding his trans issues, I recognized the torque converter symptom you described of the trans seeming to shift in and out of OD. So far this has only happened for me on uphills, and I figured it too might be a fluid/filter issue.
- Doubt this is relevant, but the traction control used to come on a little too often, like it was over sensitive- but for the last few days, suddenly I can't seem to get it to activate if I try.
Sounds like a need a torque converter, which I'm not overjoyed about but I can handle it. I suppose. If I have to.
But what about the clicking? I doubt it's related to a torque converter, and I feel that I've reasonably ruled out cv axle. Is this a common issue with these transmissions? Is the source of the noise a part which would be included in a standard rebuild kit or is it something that needs to/can be purchased and installed on its own? (Assuming it's in the trans)
Also,
Wanna buy a saturn?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
10/8/2015
Saturn Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

On the noise, I too agree the CV joints should be ruled out being they were swapped, so lets also rule out a wheel bearing going bad, by loading up each side with some safe but harsh swerving. If you can ever get a hum or moan as well as the click then do suspect a wheel bearing. If you can not get those noises then try the vehicle on a rack or stands so you can see if the noise can be identified from under the vehicle while driving and turning. The next thing to pay attention to is the differential where both axle shafts go into the trans.

For the converter, I recommend a fluid service with an additive called lubegard prior to swapping out the converter for those issues you noticed.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician