FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue, 2.2 ecotec, 5 spd standard. Im

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue, 2.2 ecotec, 5 spd standard. Im having issues with speedometer bouncing and motor chugging when it does it. I have replaced the speed sensor in the transmission and done full tuneup and still happens. What other things should i check?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on when this occurs? Does it happen every time you drive it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The check engine light doesnt come on, and had my buddy check for vodes and there are none and/or pending! It does it often, every time. I changed all the plugs and ignition control module today, and drained and refilled tranny, dont know what else to do!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for getting back with me. It sounds like an electrical issue. Most of the time this is caused by the ignition switch or the body control module. I would start by checking the ground connections on the engine, and especially the connections on the negative battery cable to ground.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It only starts to chug when the speedometer starts bouncing up and down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the grounds today as well forgot to mention that!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When the speedometer doesnt bounce it runs perfect. It seems like it does it worse as the motor gets hotter.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

If the sensor was changed and it continues to bounce around then you more than likely have a wiring issue from the sensor. Do your scan tool have the ability to see live engine data to see what the computer is seeing when this occurs? If it does then see if the speed in the computer is showing the same. If it is then the wiring is either failing or it can be the PCM. Did you check the connections at the PCM?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ill check the connections at pcm and negative battery cable to ground tomorrow. Is that the ecm or pcm or bcm, which one??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there more than one speed sensor in transmission? I saw another plug on tranny when i was draining and refilling tranny today?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

It is the PCM. As for other sensors it only has one vehicle speed sensor but it also have input and output speed sensors, but those do not affect the speedometer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked all the connections on pcm and ground, still does it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very sporadic, runs great except when speedometer goes on fritz, then it chugs!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

Are you able to have the speed signal verified with a scan tool?