Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

Past 2 years, my ABS/tractions lights have intermittently

Customer Question

Hi. For the past 2 years, my ABS/tractions lights have intermittently gone on and off. So, I had a mechanic check and he said the brake fluid was empty/low. so, it was refilled and the lights went off only to come on again and brake fluid was added again and they would go off. Well, that started happening in the beginning and I dealt with it. then, I got new tires and was told that I needed new cams in the rear. Well, i didnt get it done at the time and was just told that it could wait a little while. Within a couple of months of getting new tires, my car started to make strange noises and drag. Then it completely stopped on my one day. Had it towed, was told it was my transmission, had a complete transmission overhaul done. cost me $1,000. Picked up my car and it broke down the next day, had the transmission people pick it back up, and was told my breaks were completely locked and needed a new master cylinder. Had that done and $800 later, my car is still not right. Now, when I try to accelerate I get a loud noise like my car is trying to apply to the breaks on their own. I have read different things and tried New front brake pads, new brake lines in the front, New Rear real brake Sensor and I'm still having the same issue. My car seems to drag at every speed and I cannot accelerate. I seem to have to coast to work each day.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay.
From here this sounds like your anti lock brake control unit is activating the anti lock brakes trying to prevent a skid even though your vehicle may not be skidding or sliding at all.This is usually caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor or wheel bearing/hub assembly.
If this was not checked with a scan tool to monitor the wheel speed sensor signals this should be done.The scan tool can observe the wheel speed sensor data signals to see if one or more of the sensors are sending an incorrect signal,this is usually the one needing replaced.
Most shops or a dealer will have this tool to check this.The vehicle will need to be driven when it acts up so they can see which sensor is acting up.
The other issue I have seen or that fits the possibility of what is going on here is faulty brake calipers locking up.I do see above it looks like they may have recommended new calipers.If you have any brake calipers locking up they will need replaced.
It sounds like you may not have needed the transmission.If the brake fluid continues to become low this usually indicates there is a brake fluid leak and this can also be related to faulty brake calipers needing replaced.
Thanks Pete