Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Saturn: Power steering instantly failed on my husband this

Customer Question

Power steering instantly failed on my husband this morning. We have had no previous problems, or other issues that showed up on the panel. Is it reasonable to conclude the electrical power steering assist has failed, or shuold we consider that and possible other causes?
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Husband states the fuse is fine. Is it possible the reservoir is low?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...-May I have the year, model and engine size of your Saturn?-Was there any warning lights on the dash after the steering failure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 Astra. I don't know the engine size, it's my husband's and I don't drive it. No, there were no warning lights on the panel, and battery is showing charged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Husband texts it's a 1.4 XR model
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok, great!I'm sorry for the delay... I'm having difficulties loading my resource guide. If I'm not mistaken, there is an active recall having something to do with steering pumps on these vehicles... but I cannot confirm that right now or get any other info. Please bear with me a few more minutes. If the problem persists, I will opt out and forward you to another Tech that can more quickly assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We have no pump on our model as far as we know, as it's electric power steering. There appears to be a reservoir.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry about the long wait. I sincerely ***** ***** just can't get my resource to load. I don't want to hold you here any longer than I should. I am going to opt-out and forward you to another Tech than help you more sooner than later. I apologize for any inconvenience. Sit tight one sec... someone will be right with you...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I appreciate your attempt to help.
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
Hello, different technician here... Did the steering make any unusual noises before it stopped working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A very minor whine, like it usually does.
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
But now no whine and no assist, right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
There's no bulletins on it. The pump must have failed because fluid would wine real loud as it got too low. Be sure to check the fuses under the hoood in case one blew and took out power to the pump. If the fuses are ok, then then pump in all respects must have failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses are fine. Since replacing the power steering is about $1000, is it possible the reservoir is low, and the pump can't pull fluid in?
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
If the fluid was getting low, the unit would buzz real loud when you were trying to steer then slowly fade out in power assist. When the steering stops suddenly, the pump stopped working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for your assistance I guess this means we need to look into a power steering unit
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it does in all respects. You can get one from Rock Auto.com. Heres a picture of the prices: