Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Saturn: Power steering instantly failed on my husband this

Customer Question
Power steering instantly failed on...
Power steering instantly failed on my husband this morning. We have had no previous problems, or other issues that showed up on the panel. Is it reasonable to conclude the electrical power steering assist has failed, or shuold we consider that and possible other causes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
Husband states the fuse is fine. Is it possible the reservoir is low?
7/29/2015
Saturn Mechanic: Ron Z., - Saturn Tech - replied 2 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...-May I have the year, model and engine size of your Saturn?-Was there any warning lights on the dash after the steering failure?
2008 Astra. I don't know the engine size, it's my husband's and I don't drive it. No, there were no warning lights on the panel, and battery is showing charged.
Husband texts it's a 1.4 XR model
ok, great!I'm sorry for the delay... I'm having difficulties loading my resource guide. If I'm not mistaken, there is an active recall having something to do with steering pumps on these vehicles... but I cannot confirm that right now or get any other info. Please bear with me a few more minutes. If the problem persists, I will opt out and forward you to another Tech that can more quickly assist you.
Thank you. We have no pump on our model as far as we know, as it's electric power steering. There appears to be a reservoir.
I am so sorry about the long wait. I sincerely ***** ***** just can't get my resource to load. I don't want to hold you here any longer than I should. I am going to opt-out and forward you to another Tech than help you more sooner than later. I apologize for any inconvenience. Sit tight one sec... someone will be right with you...
Thank you. I appreciate your attempt to help.
Saturn Mechanic: Anthony, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, different technician here... Did the steering make any unusual noises before it stopped working?
A very minor whine, like it usually does.
But now no whine and no assist, right?
Right
There's no bulletins on it. The pump must have failed because fluid would wine real loud as it got too low. Be sure to check the fuses under the hoood in case one blew and took out power to the pump. If the fuses are ok, then then pump in all respects must have failed.
Fuses are fine. Since replacing the power steering is about $1000, is it possible the reservoir is low, and the pump can't pull fluid in?
If the fluid was getting low, the unit would buzz real loud when you were trying to steer then slowly fade out in power assist. When the steering stops suddenly, the pump stopped working.
Ok, thank you for your assistance I guess this means we need to look into a power steering unit
Anthony
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician