Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Saturn LW300: I have a 2002 Saturn LW300, with 66k miles on

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Saturn LW300, with 66k miles on it. Recently, it has begun to die while driving. The battery does not actually die, as I can still power everything. The gas intake simply stops. There is no shaking or shuddering or anything strange, it simply stops and I have to pull over and glide to a stop. I then must wait between 15-30 minutes until I can start my vehicle. If I try before that, the engine only turns over but doesn't fire. Once it runs again, it might drive less than a mile before the same problem happens, and I have to wait again.
Originally, I had thought this was an issue with the Passlock system, given GM's history with it. However, I never have issues starting the car from a cold start. This only happens while driving. I had a bypass module installed and (assuming it was installed correctly) it had no effect to the condition of my car.
I am hoping to get an idea of just what is wrong with my car before I invest in towing and repair service. Could it be something in regards ***** *****? It's fairly consistent in when the car stops its gas intake.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. It sounds like the fuel pump is failing which can act up when fuel pump warms up. To verify this is the problem you would need to check fuel pressure while it is acting up and compare to when it runs right. If fuel pressure is lower during the problem then you know pump needs to be replaced. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.