Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Saturn sl2: i have a 2000 saturn sl2 with only 40,000 miles…

Customer Question
i have a 2000 saturn...
i have a 2000 saturn sl2 with only 40,000 miles - started fine this morning as it always does -tried to back up to the garage and it stalled, wont restart smelled a faint electrical smell- checked all my fuses and none are bad- it turns over but want start- also noticed the radio wont come on and all of the idiot lights on the dash flicker when you turn the key to tghe on position, any ideas?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Saturn
7/7/2015
Saturn Mechanic: Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing can be caused by any of the following,
Connection
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
Fuse
Ignition Control (IC) Module
Ignition Switch
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Wire
In order to determine which is failing you are going to need to do some testing. See the things to check first in the link below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20start%20Jul%207.pdf
Post back with the results and we can work from there.
i work nights so this might take a little while, the only thing i had time for yesterday was to hook up my obd scanner - it wouldn't even power on. i thought that might be of some major significance
If the battery is charged up properly the scanned should power up, check it again and let me know and we can work from there.
i checked it again, it wont power up - the car will crank and the battery is good - i ran the scanner on my truck and it seems to be working just fine - also noticed to power door locks not working - looked for security light and didn't see it light up
Well if the scanner will not read that usually means the PCM is faulty but before you go that far you are going to need to check for injector pulse as well as spark and fuel pressure. Cekc these especial the injector pulse and we can work from there.
ok- thanks -ill get back to you
Sure thing and thank you as well.
here's what i've done so far- checked for dtc's no codes -tester won't power on
-checked security light- none
-checked injector pulse - i get a solid light all the time right through the cranking of the engine
-checked spark- plenty of spark
-i did some looking around for the electrical smell i mentioned earlier-found a semi-melted wire to
the back of the cigarette lighter ???
-dash lights all still flickering for a few seconds after the key is turned on then hear a click and
they go solid
-can't hear fuel pump run when i turn the key to on position
- starts and runs with starting fluid
-not sure how to test ckp waveform at pcm
thanks again, dave
If you are getting spark and the engine runs with starting fluid the CKP is working , the injector and fuel pump are controlled by the PCM (computer). I would now check and see if you have power and ground to the PCM.
will do- thanks i'll get back to you soon
Okay, Im here when you ready.
do you have a schematic for testing the pcm for power and ground? i also found about six locations on a google search for the pcm, middle of the dash, behind the glovebox, behind the battery, etc any help?
The PCM (computer) is located on the firewall on the left hand side see the diagram in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PCM%20Jul%2016.pdf
See the connector view for the PCM in the link below which show the power and ground wires.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PCM%201%20Jul%2016.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PCM%202%20Jul%2016.pdf
i printed out the schematics you sent and marked what i found on them - i see they are numbered on the print out but not marked on the connector - how do i tell you what i've found? where do i start counting the pins so the numbers coincide or do i just use the wire color?
The fastest way is to use the wire colors.
the smaller connector has 12v to two orange wires looking at the diagram they are the far right pins on both the top and second row down - i found no ground at all in this connectorthe larger connector has 12v to a pink and black wire and a bunch of ground points
It sound like you have power and ground at the PCM. Are you getting spark at the spark plugs as well as injector pulse?
yeah- it will run on gas down the throttle body - i saw no pulse at injectors only a solid light on the tester
The injector pulse is controlled by the computer through ground switching the injectors. If it runs on added fuel and you have no injector pulse then you are likely looking at a bad computer, has it been scanned to see if its setting any fault codes?
it wont even power up my scan tool
That would also indicate a failed computer as well.
Have you tried sniffing the computer and see if you can smell anything that smells burnt?
i've read that to replace the computer i need to take it to a dealer ? there arent any saturn dealers anymore, right?
no ill go smell it now brb
Anytime you replace the computer it will require programming, you should be able to have this done at any GM dealer as well.
i dont smell anything now but when it died on me i caught a whiff of a hot electrical smell
is this a common thing? for the computer to fry?
Its not common but can happen, If you are sure you have power and ground to the computer and no injector pulse its almost has to be a failing computer, you do not notice the theft light flashing do you?
no theft light but most of the idiot lights flash rapidly when i turn the key to the on position then i hear a little click and they go solid
If it's going solid then it should be okay.
It sure sounds like you dealing with a bad PCM.
with saturn being gone is my only option a used pcm? the car only has 40,000 miles on it its in like new condition and i plan on keeping it for quite a while
Used will worked as long as its a good unit and you have it programmed, you can also likely get a reman unit by ordering it at your local parts store such as NAPPA and or even Autozone. They may also even be able to get you a programmed unit by supplying them with your vine number.