FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Saturn ION-3: I have 2006 Saturn ion 5 speed the key got stuck

Customer Question

I have 2006 Saturn ion 5 speed the key got stuck in ignition and would not turn off I was able to pull key out while car was still running so I pop trunk and pulled the fuse that run next to battery to turn car off left off for couple hours. Next day I put fuse back I tried to turn it on while the ignition was still on the run position and I got nothing. Took it to dealer ship they changed cylinder and switch but the car is still not turn on lights come on dash comes on. On the dash it has power steering and coolant codes. I called dealer to ask if they program keys to new ignition and they said they couldn't because car won't turn on any ideas what the problem can be ?????
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. What does the car do when you try starting it? Does the key turn fine? Does the engine crank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The key turns fine lights come on but no crank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dash reads steering and coolant on it. The battery light stays on and also the one with car with lock
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like the passlock system is shut down or the ignition switch is not on the correct tooth. Did you do the passlock reset procedure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you do that
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
You will insert the ignition key and turn it on to the run position. Leave the key there for 10 minutes. Then turn the key off without removing it and then back to run for 10 more minutes. Then turn the key off and back to run for a third time. Then turn the key off and then try starting it. That will reset it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I put car in nutrel or in gear do push in the clutch ??
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
No. Just sit in the car with the door closed and do this. You will obviously need to press the clutch in after the last time before you try starting it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK hope this works
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Let me know and we can continue from there if needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I have pass 3 key before I only had all metal key
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to stay in car ??/cause its 117 out side
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't work
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
We will need to move to tests with a voltage meter if you have one. If the security light is not on when trying to crank the engine then it may be a problem with the body control module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't go off after ten min it stays on
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
If it is not going off after doing the reset and if you replaced the key lock cylinder with a new one and a new key then the programming may be locked up in the BCM or the BCM may be failing and now accepting the relearn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On dash battery light is on car with lock stays on gas is half way
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Your car sounds like it is in anti theft mode. If it is not accepting the relearn a GM scan tool will needs to be used to see if the BCM is going into relearn mode. It does not sound like it is. If it does not then the BCM will need to be replaced.