Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Saturn SL1: I have a 1996 Saturn SL1 that I bought two neutral…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 Saturn...
I have a 1996 Saturn SL1 that I bought two neutral safety switches for and I even have a junk yard used switch. the Saturn starts but the check engine light comes on and the code says ck or replace range switch so I bought a switch from O Reilly auto parts and that didn't fix the problem so I bought a switch from NAPA auto and that didn't fix the code or drivability problem so I replace the shift cable and the shit to ignition lock cable and the transaxle and engine motor mounts and the code didn't come on for a week but then it came on again so I look at my Haynes Saturn S series 1991 to 2002 repair manual and it says to adjust the switch while it is in neutral and I get continuity from two electrical terminals by rotating the neutral switch but on or off the care I can't get continuity from these two electrical terminals from any of my three neutral safety or range switch can you help. I also saw on richpin.com that a person had a similar problem and he found that the after market switches has a larger hole that fits on the shaft which allows play and the switch doesn't operate right my after market switches both a larger holes too but I do have a junk yard Saturn switch and it has a smaller better fitting hole that goes over the transaxle shifting shaft but again none of these switches show continuity also the GM dealer ship no longer sells this switch so I have to go with after market or junkyard parts can you help
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Saturn
Answered in 5 days by:
7/2/2015
Saturn Mechanic: Pete, Saturn Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Pete, Saturn Mechanic
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Inspect the wiring to the switch and see if any wiring or connector issues are found with it.If a wiring or connection fault is found this will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.
Thanks Pete