Tim Mohr, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Saturn ION: I have a 2007 Manual Transmission Saturn

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2007 Manual Transmission Saturn Ion 100K Miles that wont start after sitting in a parking lot for 4 moths while I have been away on business. Battery was dead so my friend and I changed the original to an optima red top but still didn't start. No dash "passlock" symbol shows. We were able to bump start it and drive it to his house. When i turned it off, it started right up but if I left it for 10 minutes or more it would not. Upon turning the key to "run" the radio lights, and other electricals turn on like normal. Upon turning the key to "start" the engine makes loud clicking sounds coming from the starter solenoid and the top right fuse box. Changed out the starter but no change. Have not changed out the ignition. We tried bypassing the system by attaching a battery directly to the starter "red" terminal and a alligator clip to the smaller of the three terminals then attaching that to power while simultaneously turning the key to the "start" position. The starter engages and turns the flywheel but the vehicle does not start.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** motor do you have in this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2.2L
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok, do you have a volt meter or a test light? I can help you diagnose this,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Battery tested at 12.7 v ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Charged battery through the night on a 6amp 12v charger. 12 Volts at the starter when key is in the run position.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Ok, at the starter, there are 2 wires, one large coming from the battery and one small coming from the ignition, do you have power on the small wire at the starter when cranking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I clipped positive to that small terminal and negative to the frame. The multimeter was very erratic showing a range between 89 - 273 mV.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok, no we need to check the clutch switch, on the clutch pedal there is a switch with 2 wires, do you have 12 volts on the pink wire, with the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
12 volts at the pink wire.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
does the other wire have power, when you press the clutch in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pink 11.26V "run" and 11.40V on "start" positionsYellow 6mV in both run and start.Blow the 7.5amp fuse if wires cross through multimeter.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
the pink wire should have power in the run or start, then when you push the clutch in, it should put power to the yellow wire, do you get power on the yellow wire when you push the clutch in??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am. But I cant actually test the voltage because when I do the fuse blows.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
if you remove the connector from the clutch switch and jumper the 2 wires, and turn the key on, does the fuse blow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only when I jumper with the multimeter.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok, then there is a probe=lem with your multimeter, do you know where the ECM relay is located?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a schematic ??
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
it is in the fuse box under the hood, it should be labled "ECM CONT", can you locate this relay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok,its the #31 relay, remove the relay, and check the terminal for power with the key on, one should have power, then a second one should have power when cranking only, does it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they do
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok, does the relay click when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok, install the relay, but dont push it down all the way, enough to contact the termonals, but leave it up enough to check the other 2 termonals, one should have power when cranking, nt either of the 2 terms that you checked for pwer, one of the other 2 terms,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed the relay out with another one of the same type from inside the fuse box but no change. There isn't enough space to keep the relay up slightly and test it at the same time...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok, if another relay was swapped, then it is not a relay, if the relay clicks, it is getting a ground siganl from the computer, so this just leaves the purple wire between the fuse box and the starter being broke, or a problem inside the fuse box, check for power on the purple wire coming out of the fuse box, and see if it has power there when cranking, if it does, then it a broken wire from there to the starter, if it does not have power, then its internal inside the fuse box, nothing else, and the fuse box will need to be replaced,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am now getting the "passlock" icon on the dash.... How do I disable that?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
No, the spout connector is just a single wire connecor
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
If you are getting a passlock message, then the relay should not have clicked when cranking, are you sure ot was clicking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The passlock came on after messing around in the fuse box. It was clicking prior to passlock being enabled. What was the spout connector for?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if the passlock warning is on, then the key has loss its programming, we need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure, do you know how to do this?