Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Saturn sl: 2000 sl series. cam shaft code i have new plugs

Customer Question
2000 sl series....
2000 sl series. cam shaft code
i have new plugs in the car
ohmed out the wires, all good
went to a salvage yard and got a used set of coils and modual
when swaping that out he previous owner had electric grease on the bas to help with the grounding.
so how do I trouble shoot this further
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saturn
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/15/2015
Saturn Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
What spark plugs did you install and what is the order of the plug wires on the coils from left to right as you are standing in front of the engine?
the car is coming back to my shop in about 2 hours
i have double check wire location against the haynes manual ( thought that 1 and 4 could be mixed causing the trouble)
the car also keeps running worse the longer you drive it. after a month the thing is doggy and low on power. after I reset the code the car runs well and strong with lots of power. I am not sure what plugs i put in but on a gm I try to only use the AC plug that would of come in the car when it was new I know the ignition system is designed with that plug
As long as you used the correct plug and the surface between the module and the transmission with good connection to the battery and the plug wires in the 4,1,2,3, positions this should not set a cam code.
I am going to OPT OUT of your question, it sounds like there are other issues (timing chain?) that might be happening here so maybe another tech will be able to shed some light on the matter.
Sorry I could not help
i have found on the web but cant find it know how to trouble shoot the wires back to the pcm. I need to know how to do this. also its not a chain I timing chain off a tooth would run like crap all the time.
Bueller?
Saturn Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there,
What is camshaft DTC that is setting?
It CAN be a chain issue, if the chain has stretched.
The grease you have mentioned is not for grounding, it is a heatsink grease, allows better conductivity of heat from the module to the bracket it is mounted on.
Gary
I bieleve I have ac plugs in the car. I will confirm this later today as it is coming back to my shop. The order of the plug wires is correct to the chilton manual. I have found in the past how to back prob a wire back to the pcm. ( I can't find this now) I have a used pcm to put in also if needed. I have not found anywhere on the web where changing the chain has fixed this problem. I need to explore all options before I put a chain in this car. So please help me trouble shoot this
Code 341
Hi again,
This video may help:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_y-3fhAHZM
Gary
Wow.
you sent me a link to a you tube video. I am looking for someone to provide me with the data I can you to trouble shout this. How to ohm out wires back to the pcm
I would like to talk to a oem saturn tech
Why did you replace the coil with a second hand unit from a wrecker?
Seems all you need is a circuit diagram like what would be in a workshop manual.
Maybe this might help:
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/data/500/medium/7049ign.jpg
Gary
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician